Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Is this retarded?

'Cos it kinda felt retarded.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 09-26-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Is this retarded?

Why would you call down with ace high? I mean it's pretty read dependent but it looks retarded to me.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 PM

First off, is a button open raise at stars 2/4 a wide range of holdings? Because 1/2-3/6 SH I found to be much more passive...if you've got a read on the raiser it's fine but I'd muck as a default pf.

So, what's he raising with on the flop here? You've taken an aggressive line so his raise is saying he can beat A-hi...or he's aggro and oblivious and is raising because he's got 2 spades or thinks you missed.

Basically, it all comes down to how you view the player. If he's aggro enough to raise you on the flop with an inferior holding, you have to be prepared to show your A-hi down since he'll bet all 3 streets. However, I think your average 2/4 sh player isn't that aggressive/thinking and you can lay it down on the turn.

*just saw teh gutshot....you can discount your A outs b/c he'll often have paired his kicker with an A, and the 9 outs might give 89 a better 2 pair...with flush outs being only slightly tainted and gut outs possibly giving him a better straight it's close but I don't mind a fold.

Surf
Old 09-26-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you call down with ace high? I mean it's pretty read dependent but it looks retarded to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

he folds the river.

on the turn he has a gutshot + 2 overs to the board and possibly the best hand.

i might call the river depending on the opponent. lots of clowns like to resteal when rags flop against a pf 3bettor out of the sb since it's so likely you whiffed. that, combined with the flush draw on the flop and i think i'd call the river once i got there. i wouldn't be surpised to see a worse ace, 2 high [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s, or total air once out of eight times.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:50 PM

hey surf,

once you call the turn here, do you think a river call is in order?

i think this is a situation where you decide on the turn whether or not you're going to showdown.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, is a button open raise at stars 2/4 a wide range of holdings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what I've seen, A9o should be a favorite most of the time.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:40 PM

If you think you are behind and figure about 6-8 outs, calling the turn and folding the river here would be fine.

I play the hand the same way postflop. Preflop depends on button, but is perfectly standard against some opponents.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:19 AM

fold the turn or call the river as well as the turn.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 AM

I would probably call the raise PF against an unknown. Read-dependent.

bet/call the flop. He may be doing the "no, Im really not stealing your blind routine"

if just called I would lead the turn, hoping for a fold. If raised c/f the turn unimproved.

If Im still around for the river I think c/f...you tried.
Folding flop raise or c/f turn would have been good here IMO.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably call the raise PF against an unknown. Read-dependent.

bet/call the flop. He may be doing the "no, Im really not stealing your blind routine"

if just called I would lead the turn, hoping for a fold. If raised c/f the turn unimproved.

If Im still around for the river I think c/f...you tried.
Folding flop raise or c/f turn would have been good here IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/raise is far superior to bet/call if you're after folding equity. Waiting till the turn to get him to fold is bad.