Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Tag head up

I was unsure about how to play this turn. Villain is TAG about 14/10/3. No other reads

Please tell me what u think. And how you would play the river unimproved.
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero........
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Tag head up

I like the flop c/r. After getting 3-bet, i'd just call the turn, and if u/i on the river, just call once again.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:11 PM

I would definitely check and call. You are drawing 2 outs two a set and 8 outs for a straight. The 3-bets suggest to me that this guy is playing a strong pocket pair or high suited connectors. I'm thinking

1) TT (bad hand for you, you lose 2 outs)
2) High connected hearts like AK
3) AT

I would check and call the turn hoping for one of my 10 outs seeing that the pot seems to be sufficiently big to draw on. If you hit I think this guy will pay you off quite a bit.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM

Yeah i think this would be the best play. I actually bet thís turn since i thought he could be three betting the flop for a free card given his high aggression. He raised and it sucked.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM

This is a very standard example of where you need to check the turn because you have outs:

Against an overpair or a hand like AT, you have many outs (as many as 10), but having to put in two bets against any of these hands is very unfortunate (even with ten outs you are losing almost a quarter of a big bet if you have to put in two big bets instead of one).

Against the hands that you are beating (which are basically just the big card hands like AK and AQ) an opponent who three-bets the flop here will often go ahead and bet these hands on the turn anyway, so you can worry less about giving a free card. Your opponent looks like a decent TAG, which tends to decrease the chance he's pulling a total muscle job here. Even if he does check, it's not a disaster, as you've still forced him to put in 1.5 BB to get his turn and river cards.

Check and call on the turn for all these reasons. The tough question is river play. I think a case can certainly be made for check-folding the river unimproved, though I imagine I'm making a crying call on the river unimproved against most opponents. When you hit, I might be tempted to go for the sexy, though you should note a couple of things: 1. Your opponent is a TAG, and so it is likely that he might be capable of making a thin value bet on the river; 2. Your opponent is a TAG, as so it is likely that he might be capable of folding to a check-raise anyway, which mitigates the value of a check-raise. I'm probably going to be out because you're not that likely to get the second bet anyway and I don't want to lose the chance to get one bet since the rivers that hit you will be pretty obvious. If you hit a 9 I think you should probably bet and call a raise, though folding at that point can't be that bad.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:19 PM

yeah a check call here is better, giving a free card isnt as bad as beeing raised. Heads up vs an aggressive opponent i call this river, although i would be unhappy if he bet the river.