Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Awkward flop, fun river

I felt like the best way to protect my hand would be to bet out on the flop as BB had been playing a little over aggressive and would probably recognize this as being a good sized pot. MP3 here is a super-fish...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 09-26-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Awkward flop, fun river

I think I would make a move on the turn somehow with either a CR or a stop n go. YOu can get the BB to protect your hand or you can do it yourself. What kind of hand range are you putting the fish on
Old 09-26-2005, 04:28 PM

I hate our hand after the flop and it just gets worse on the turn and river. I really don't like the river raise.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:41 PM

I like the flop bet, though I'm not sure how you know BB will raise. Being slightly over-aggressive isn't enough of a read to make that judgement. Unless he's a maniac, I'd expect him to fold since he just checked out of the BB and the board could easily have two overcards for him. Anyway, it's still a good bet.

I'd probably go for the turn check-raise. BB is aggressive and isn't likely on a draw after the raise, so he'll probably bet here. Fish will then likely pay two.

On the river, it kind of depends on the type of fish MP3 is. Is he the type to call down with any pair and bet when checked to or is he the super-passive type? I'd fold to the latter, but against the former, it's trickier. The river check says a J for BB, I guess, but we certainly want to fold out an A if we can. Would he check an A here?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:43 PM

In what way is MP3 a superfish? If he is the kind to bluff rivers when checked then this a great place to go for a promotion raise you can probably move BB off a better A or steal half a pot from him. OTOH, if MP3 is a passive superfish then you are probably better off just check/folding the river.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Was this river "fun" because you won? I don't get the river raise at all.