Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Hand groups on web sites

Are the Sklansky/Malmuth hand groups copywrited? I found the following site kind of disturbing:

http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/te...-groupings.htm
Old 09-26-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Hand groups on web sites

Any idiot can run a simulator and get almost identical starting hands. Or look at pokertracker statistics for 50K+ hands ranked by win%. Or go to pokerroom.com and look at their EV stats. There is certainly nothing unique about this table, and it does seem to fit the definition of a 'system' or 'method' as discussed.

Sklansky's thoughts on check-raising, for example, would obviously be copyrighted though.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sklansky's thoughts on check-raising, for example, would obviously be copyrighted though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in full on this point. However, I have previously seen removals of the hand groups stating that it was violating copywrite. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or look at pokertracker statistics for 50K+ hands ranked by win%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at your own stats shows what you do - and you may play certain hands poorly, which skews results.

The best thing to do with personal stats is look at the hands you don't do well with that you should, according to the tables, and then determine how you are making errors with those holdings.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-26-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in full on this point. However, I have previously seen removals of the hand groups stating that it was violating copywrite. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the email exchange at the bottom of that very link?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 AM

May laymans (i.e. i'm not a layer) view considering what I've read about copyright law and also how it relates to various other fields is that it is almost certanly to post the groups themselves as a quote and giving a reference to their source as a footnote. (Not even sure that last bit is strictly neccesary from a copyright standpoint but not doing it is both bad maners and poor writing so you should do it anyway.)

Once you start adding verbose descriptions about how the groups were constructed and the raitionale behind etc then that might certanly be infrigement.

Also from my own subjective viewpoint I think that if the hand groups themselves would be considered copyrighted material that would be the FL Hold'em equivalent of having the periodic table copyrighted. You can't generally use copyright to halt development of a science. (I guess in theory the Hand groups might be patentable, but that's an entierly differnt matter.)

/Bjorn
Old 10-01-2005, 09:40 AM

Should we be sued for discussing pot odds, on the grounds that it was first described in Theory of Poker? I want people to be able to discuss the ideas of David Sklansky, and I find efforts to block others from listing the poker hand groups annoying. As well as foolish, since listing the groups, mentioning them as from Sklansky, probably increases sales of his books. Limits on discussion of ideas should be narrowly construed, because wide dissemination of ideas is good for us and such discussions are not really going to discourage authorship.