Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: What do the monsters under my bed look like?

[ QUOTE ]
A quote by Dynasty:

Yet again, we see an example of a studious player not actually reading hands but only putting their opponents on a hand which either (1) has their hand beat and drawing very slim or (2) is drawing very live against him. No other hands were even considered.

I would reraise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its posts like this that make it worth posting hand histories with an obvious answer (capping the river in my case.) This points out the problem I had with playing the hand, rather than my superficial error of not getting in the last raise.

The funny thing is I was just reading about how your typical average player will just look at the board in horror while the better player actually attempts to decipher the opponents holding instead of assuming the worst. I usually do this, and I'm not going to go into the reasons why I didn't in this case, but suffice to say I still made a mistake.

SB had 89 and rivered a full house. I had him beat on every street.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:29 PM

SB has A6. If he does have the case hand, good for him, I'll pay him off everytime.

(didn't look at the answer yet)

jHE

Edit: I assume you meant 96 (you mistyped it)...yuk. Don't you feel silly now? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 01:44 PM

To answer your original question: As in Monster's Inc, they hide upder the bed because they are afraid of YOU.

Anyway, you need to profile everyone as to how assertive they are in general, and how assertive they are when someone else is assertive. In this case, if you've seen this player over-play hands before then you are a huge favorite since there is only one hand that can beat you on the turn (66), and only one more on the river (8h7s). Compare that to the number that he can potentially be over-playing (A6, 33, K6, T6, 97, 63, Ah4h, yaddy yaddy) and the right course of action is pretty obvious.

Its a different matter against reasonably deductive types. From YOUR action they can deduce you must have a monster and are likely to slow-down, drastically reducing the number of hands he CAN be assertive with. That's pretty much the two that have you beat and the two remaining T6s in the deck, a hand such a player is unlikely to have called a raise with.

- Louie
Old 09-18-2003, 02:21 PM

Technically you are right, but unless the guy holding 87s is also a complete maniac, he doesn't have it. If hero is losing this hand, it is to 66.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:13 PM

I had essentially the same exact hand last night. I'll go through it (from my shotty memory) cause I played it a little differently than you did. I welcome everyones thoughts.

I'm UTG with 44. five limp in including SB, BB, UTG+1, and Button.

Flop comes 664r....sweet mother of god... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BB leads, I call, button raises (assume A6, could be 66 but if it is then good for him). We all call.

Turn 2c (couldn't really ask for a better card) which now puts two clubs on the board. SB leads (must have hit his draw, I'm guessing 35s). BB calls, I now raise, UTG+1 calls, Button 3 bets (aggressive type), SB caps, all of us call except for BB who folds.

River 5c. Very nice card...I am hoping UTG +1 has the flush. I assumed button wasn't playing 65...but who knows in this game. SB leads, I raise, UTG+1 3 bets, called to me, I cap, everyone calls.

My house is good for 41 BB.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:17 PM

[44] flop 466 is in a LOT more jeapardy than [66] flop 644. These are NOT "virually" the same.

- Louie