Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2003, 02:08 AM

Default Poker skills in the job market

I know we had this discussion this past winter, but a lot has happened since then in the poker world, and I think its worth re-hashing the topic.

I'm a senior in college and I have recently come to the realization that I may need a real job after school. Along those lines, I swallowed my pride and decided to wander into my school's career fair tonight. I looked into asset management, business valuation, derivatives trading, etc. (backstage financial fields of all varieties). Cut to the chase...the thought of mentioning that I am pretty successful poker player to the recruiters this evening entered my mind more than once. There are certain combinations of skills that people can develop only at a poker table and in a handful of other situations....if only these recruiters had a clue.

Now, you know and I know that successful poker players have assets that only a small minority of the population possess (even within the college-educated population), but....

A. Is it ever a good career move to tell a potential employer that you are a successful poker player? What if you had years upon years of tax returns worth of proof that you could earn a living off the game? I used to think that this was an absolute no-no, but I ran into an old boss a few months ago and told him I had a growing infatuation with the game of poker, and he appeared genuinely impressed. Is poker's new popularity going to lead to a more mainstream acceptance of players, or are we always going to have to endure the burden of never being understood and never impressing employers, members of the opposite sex, etc. with our poker abilities?

B. What kind of careers naturally lend themselves to the poker player's strengths?

Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Poker skills in the job market

1. I wouldn't mention it, especially in the midwest.

2. Any type of analytical job, working with finanical markets and instruments, and Business Development (mergers and acquisitions) are all areas that would use similar thought processes.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:54 AM

Gonores,

It will depend on who you interview with. Some people will automatically write you off as a problem gambler, while others will be impressed. Since you can't tell which they will do, you shouldn't mention it at all.

Now, if the guy interviewing you have a copy of Supersystem on his desk, you should definitely mention it. You will be surprised how often people are hired because of things like this. I once got a job because I struck-up a conversation about Lou Reed (for you young guys, look in the history books under "The Velvet Underground") and another because I went to the same high school and college as the interviewer.

I think you will be most happy when you find an employer who appreciates the value of your poker skills. You don't want to work for someone who thinks poker is all luck.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:00 PM

Hey Gonores... I know a guy who, on his resume a while back, would list under "other interests" that he enjoyed home beer brewing and poker. Inevitably, in job interviews, there would be at least 10-20 minutes discussion of one of these topics. Apparently everyone in his college said putting these things on a resume was a poor idea. He said "screw it," wrote them in, and they provided something personal to discuss beyond just classes, experience and goals.

It's a thought.

I don't think being a poker player is going to get you the job. But b/c poker is such a widely played game, it may have other benefits and provide something different to discuss. It's one of those things you might try slipping in there, just to see what happens. But like I said, I don't think you can chalk it up under "essential skills" or anything like that.

Good luck, either way.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:13 PM

"It will depend on who you interview with. Some people will automatically write you off as a problem gambler, while others will be impressed. Since you can't tell which they will do, you shouldn't mention it at all."

I agree. Some people will be intrigued but MOST people will think you are a problem gambler. I rarely discuss poker with non-players. There is still a taint of sleaziness associated with poker. After all, the basic premise of poker is to take money from people that are more stupid than you.

I am an engineer. I have never been faced with an engineering problem that could not be solved. But I have been faced with many people-problems that I could not solve. Being a poker player has helped me read the true motives and intentions of the people around me. Everyone is an actor. Poker skills are useful in resolving rivalries, negotiations, and risk vs. return people issues.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:51 PM

Mention it if you are applying for a job as a trader or Stock Broker.

Of course it applies more to the Trader position. Most brokers are really people who kiss asses and act all buddy-buddy for commissions.

AA
Old 09-19-2003, 02:43 PM

"I am an engineer. I have never been faced with an engineering problem that could not be solved."

Dwayne, you are just the guy I've been looking for. My girlfriend truly loathes her 45 minute drive to work and would like to be instantly transported there with little or no time lag. Please PM me as to the best method to alleviate her transportation woes.

Old 09-19-2003, 03:01 PM

Engineering produces optimal solutions at the lowest total cost. If you spend enough money, get the right people involved, and are willing to make hard choices, the problem gets solved one way or another. It's really that simple. Unfortunately engineering methods do not always work well with people type problems. Try telling your girlfriend to get another job or move closer to her work.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:30 PM

I personally have found that poker skills have proven to be invaluable in the salary negotiation process [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2003, 08:35 PM

Why do you find it necessary to nitpick? By the way, your statement in no way disproves his.

-- Homer