Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: One Hit Wonder

[ QUOTE ]
Varkonyi was never very big on poker, I read somewhere that the real player is his wife and she got him into the game. Im also pretty sure Varkonyi didnt quit his job and play the curcuit which might be a reason why you dont see any other big tournament cashes.. he has always been a recreational player

[/ QUOTE ]

His wife was doing pretty well in this year's main event if my memory serves me.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Yeah, he seems to be the kind of guy who just wants to chill out when he's playing poker, and hit a hot streak at the right time. I really don't see him slumming through the tourneament trail; has he ever done any major event other than the WSOP Main Event?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 PM

you forgot to mention:

1. PokerKings was one of the worst programs about poker EVER!

(not sure if you agree about this...but I thought it sucked...maybe I would have liked it better if it had been more accurately titled...something like "Poker Rejects" or something)

2. Varkoni observed that it was dififcult for him to get a job BECAUSE of his WSOP win (because of the negative image associated with gambling/poker). He failed to realize that a big contributing factor to his inability to land a job might have also included his total dweebishness and awful interviewing skills.
The parts of his interview (with whatever company it was) that they showed in Poker Kings were REALLY painful to watch.
Then he complained that winning the WSOP was keeping from landing gainful employment.
Ummm...no Robert...it's because you totally suck at interviewing.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 PM

Evelyn Ng sucks.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:12 PM

The funniest part of this thread is that when I saw the subject line in the forum, I knew it was about Varkoni without even opening it up.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a documentary called Poker Kings that came out a couple years ago and it showed Varkonyi looking for work AFTER he won his WSOP bracelet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering his after-tax total will barely be over a million, it shouldn't be a surprise that he can't retire with that alone.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn does not have 2 million plus the recognizition of being a world champion. She is just another female poker player. Wake me up when she final tables a huge event.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

and I was kind....
Old 09-24-2005, 12:56 AM

I stood behind him in line when I was regestering for the main event. Was in line for maybe 20 minutes, no one noticed him at all. The funny part was it didn't click in my head that it was Varkonyi til I saw the geeky MIT "poker coach" with him.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:50 AM

Well the thing about one-hit wonders, at least they had one hit.

Regarding Evelyn Ng. I don't know how complete those results are, but if you look at those winnings over the last 2 years, how many tournament entry fees do you think they pay for?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the thing about one-hit wonders, at least they had one hit.

Regarding Evelyn Ng. I don't know how complete those results are, but if you look at those winnings over the last 2 years, how many tournament entry fees do you think they pay for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably all of them, or at least any that have TV potential.