Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Default SIZE OF BANKROLL NEEDED FOR 2/4?

I just received an unexpected check in the mail and was interested in putting a piece of it to work at some 2/4 tables. Was wondering what size bankroll would I need to get started so that I could play right and not worry about getting short stacked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jeff Conner
Old 09-23-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: SIZE OF BANKROLL NEEDED FOR 2/4?

$1,200
Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 PM

that's about what i was expecting to put up, 300 times bb. was just curious to hear from others. thanks.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$1,200

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you typically want to have at least 300 big bets. There is not at much variance in $2/4 so 300 bb is fine, but for the higher limits you might want around 400-500 bb first.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 PM

The best answer to this question depends on what your 'roll' is for.

unless you will never have other money to add to the bankroll, this is WAY excessive. 300BB is a fine standard for 'risk of ruin' that is variance taking away your bankroll, even if you play right.

I don't play for a living, just a little extra income. I keep a roll of about half that ($600). That is when my account grows to somewhere around $1k, i take 3-400 out pay something off and keep going. If variance kicks me in the nuts (or I get sloppy), I can always add a couple hundred if I need. Plus it keeps some cash on the side for the monthly deposit bonuses.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$1,200

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you typically want to have at least 300 big bets. There is not at much variance in $2/4 so 300 bb is fine, but for the higher limits you might want around 400-500 bb first.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue. I'm winning 2+/100 at 2/4 over billions of hands. I've gone on 250BB downswings. It happens. I wouldn't put all 1,200 from your bank online through an instant transfer. That's going to be like 50-100 bucks in fees. If you do deposit the whole thing, do the method that takes 3-4 days but is free. Or, deposit less, and bonus whore for awhile. It's much easier that way.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't put all 1,200 from your bank online through an instant transfer. That's going to be like 50-100 bucks in fees. If you do deposit the whole thing, do the method that takes 3-4 days but is free. Or, deposit less, and bonus whore for awhile. It's much easier that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe IGM-Pay is free, and instant, but is only supported on Party and skins.

Firepay is $3.99 for instant funding, but only up to $500 (I think). So you'd have to do multiple $500 deposits.

I agree, though, the Neteller 8.9% fee is highway robbery.

-- Kevin
Old 09-23-2005, 08:44 PM

What is your experience? If you suck then it doesn't matter what your bankroll is. Bankroll only covers varinace and not poor play. Well I take that back. It can cover poor play for short periods. Like drunk weekends. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 09:50 AM

guess like most players, i consider myself to be a fairly protitable player, lol. but seriously, i have been playing this game for close to 15 years and after my divorce a few years ago i had to rely on poker profits to pay my bills as my check was going to my ex. remarried now and wife is working some odd hours so i have alot of free time after putting my 2 year old daughter to bed. thought this would be something i could possibly ease back into since poker sites so readily available now, i can be home with sleeping child and perhaps make a few extra bucks each week. been use to playing in both nl and structured games around town and have turned very good profits but not able to get out on a regular basis for live games. curious what type of return i can expect per hour on a 2/4 game. i know that i won't retire playing a 2/4 game but would really like to treat it as a potential second job. thanks again for everyone's help, you guys are awesome.
jeff
Old 09-24-2005, 10:55 AM

Assuming 2BB/100 hands and that you 4-table. Its around 16$/hour.