Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Semibluff Drawing Hands? 3/6 6max

Hand 1:

MP is 20/10/.83 over 51 hands
Button is 26/11/2.5 over 53 hands

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333"></font>Hero ???

Hand 2:

SB is 40/22/1.84 over 60 hands
No other info

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">,</font>Hero ???

Thanks,
lozing
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Semibluff Drawing Hands? 3/6 6max

Raise both.

I'd make a continuation bet on the turn in hand 1 hoping he'll fold.

Hand 2 could go either way depending on the lag.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 AM

I would call in Hand 1, and raise in Hand 2. I would raise hand 2 because I was the PFR, and in addition to our open ender draw, we have 2 overcards giving us a better chance to win the pot that way as well.

C-Dog
Old 09-23-2005, 11:11 AM

I raise both because I love buying the button.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call in Hand 1, and raise in Hand 2. I would raise hand 2 because I was the PFR, and in addition to our open ender draw, we have 2 overcards giving us a better chance to win the pot that way as well.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]
The tag pf raiser in hand 1 misses this flop a lot. We should use our semi-bluff strength to gain fold equity and win unimproved. It would be a major coup if we could get AK-AJ, KQ, KJ etc to fold on the river unimproved.

Since we have a straight draw and not a flush draw, it will be less obvious that we are semi-bluffing.

Shutting out the button is another argument for raising.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Hand 1 is an easy raise since it doesn't look like there are any draws on it and it most likely missed the tight MP. Hand 2 is closer. Sometimes I raise and sometimes I call and fold the river if I don't improve.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:23 PM

I like raising in both cases, to shut out the button and set up the free card play if the turn brings a blank.

In the second hand, though you have overcards that could win as well, hitting the pair could make a str8, especially if you hit the T. (If you have been blessed with the same luck I have seen lately, you have to consider that villain has Q7 or some other crappy hand and made the str8. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 PM

I have different lines here, can anyone explain to me if\why these aren't optimal?

First hand, posting in the CO is a bit odd but we can ignore that. From my experiences at 3/6, its really hard to move people off of overcards. If you raise flop, he calls, check/bet turn, what do you do on the river if you don't hit straight? A pair is probably good, but do you bet low cards? Do you bet a Q,K,A? I would personally call and hope button calls adding money to the pot. If I was going to raise, I might raise the turn if a safe card falls. Am I giving up too much EV at 3/6 by just playing straightforward? I find the loose\passive calling stations don't fold enough to make this play worthwhile.

The bet in hand two to me screams i have a pair(or just a 7, possibly pair+7) and i know you have overcards, i want to 3 bet you. I still think it's necessary to raise, though you may have less outs than you think.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Rest of Hands

Thanks for the comments. Here is the rest of the hands. I also chose to raise on both for reasons already stated. Any other comments? I assume the rest is pretty standard.:

Hand 1:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

River: (10.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB

Hand 2:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB