Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Default THE HULA EFFECT

effect? affect? whatever...
anyone else notice that play in their HULA/HULAML matches varies a good bit from live headsup money games they play?

my theory is that people play a little more free in these matches w/out money directly involved. so folks seem to make more raise bluffs and bigger folds than they might in a cash game (a big headsup fold being third pair [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) i guess it could just be a matter of playing against some folks that don't play headsup often, although i don't feel like that's it.

regardless, these matches have made me more willing to try some different moves in cash games that seem to be working pretty well. anyone else using HULA to refine their HU play much (success/horror stories)?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: THE HULA EFFECT

What does HULA stand for? It's been making me nuts for a while.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:50 PM

Well I'm 1 in 4 in HULA ML so not sure what that says.
Probably some combination of "I'm not great" and "there is a lot of variance involved."

I've had success the one time some uber-donk challenged me to play HU a couple weesk ago. I was concerned that he was initiating it and was still slightly underrolled for 10/20 at the time myself. But after playing for a while and seeing quite a few poor aspects to his game I decdided to go for it and took most of his stack. Obviously still tons of variance involved, but the HULA experience helped a ton.

I've done decently the few times I've stuck around when a table dropped to two players. Before if the other player had decentish stats I used to get up and leave right away. Some of those tight passive guys can be a gold mine as long as you actually remember to fold the 1 in 10 times the rereaise you.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does HULA stand for? It's been making me nuts for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads-Up Limit Association
Old 09-22-2005, 05:58 PM

I dont play any different than I do in cash games. I treat those play money HULA chips with the same care I do real money chips, cuz I want to win, same as I do in a real money game.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM

i've found myself making a few more stone bluffs, but that's just because sometimes i'm playing against people who are actually good. i still try to play my best though, i haven't done any experimenting or anything.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:43 PM

in the few headsup real money matches i have played at 2-4 thru 5-10 the players are far easier to play than the hula players.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM

btw, i shouldn't have said "sometimes i'm playing against people who are actually good," but too late to edit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]