Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: WCOOP Main Event Winner Playing 4 HU 5k on Stars at Once

nice.

i saw ivey and prahlad chatting about him during a session on full tilt.

the gist of the coversation was they were both trying to build a bigger nest egg for when "JB" hits the scene. ivey mentioned possible retirement, and prahlad was worried about him busting every game 25/50 to 200/400.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:57 PM

You can't be serious?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't be serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult thread to weed out the sarcasm in. This kid is either a joke to everyone or the best poker player ever!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't be serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, diablo probably meant this:

[ QUOTE ]
But winning two tournaments without being one of the best in the world is completely impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM

i get no respect!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahahaha
Old 09-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Yeah, usually I have a very good sarcasm detector, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working in this thread.

Have I mentioned I like you better with this Family Guy avatar?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:17 PM

I have a friend who knows him in RL, and he really is a little douchebag. He does resemble Stu Ungar, in that he can play poker but he will likely die alone and addicted to drugs and alcohol.

But hey, good show in the main event there Jordan.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:18 PM

I was at the final table (on the rail of course) and I have no doubt that he has talent. But, he is still just a kid, and apparently he has the same disregard for money that Stu Ungar did, which led to Stu being broke for most of his life.

Any kid who after winning that much dough, doesn't stop to think about the future that that money could enable him is destined to lose a good portion if not all of it. It's sad.

You don't go and play 2 or 3 HU matches for $5000 simultaneously w/o having a screw loose. If not just for the fact that you will attract all kinds of sharks.

The kid has talent, but if someone doesn't teach him the basics of money managment, he's a loser either way. And I mean total loser.

I forgot to mention that at the final table when it was down to 6 players, the short stack (who had been playing tight) raised 3x to $90,000 in the CO and this kid was in the BB and reraised all in with 47o for $600,000 which was the rest of the CO's stack. The kid had about 1.5m at before the raise. CO folded and the kid showed. Brilliant? Or just stupid? I vote for the later. Maybe in live play when you have a read on someone, but online, it was stupid. My guess is that he sucked out a lot of times to get to that final table.

Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM

I agree the Kids got skills. Does that mean he has the maturity, bank roll management and other various skills that requires a great player to maintain his success? Who knows?

The kid wins tourneys, wins cash, but I don't think you can be so sure as to say the Kid will dominate the poker landscape. Diablo, you are definitely a better judge of poker talent than I. I'm not going to argue that he has talent, I just think his current decision to try to play multiple top flight players on Stars all at the same time is a great reflection of his BR skills and tabling selection skills. He is playing an extremely high variance game, and not to mention a very high variance game against some of the best NL online players.

Maybe he was just living it up for 1 day, but if he maintains this kind of carefree attitude with his money, there will be many happy high limit stars players who have gotten much richer because of this kids good fortune.

As you mentioned Stu-ey, Stu-ey had probally the best pure tourney NL skills of anyone ever, thing is the guy ended his life poor to do poor decisions elsewhere. JB's bad habits in turn could outway his skills in his future just like what happened to Stu. I could win 2 big tournies like JB, join up and play all the big games online. I could challenge Mr. Friedman to 100/200 NL, and play 4 5K HU for days at a time and be broke really quickly. Yes I might be a great tourney player, but I might go broke playing cash games ALA Cloutier.

All I'm saying is, Skills can be brought down by poor decision making outside the game. This guy so far hasn't shown great control of his money outside and inside the game as well as a maturity level that would be envious of my 5 year old niece.
Closed Thread