Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:17 PM

Default ***Results***

When I'm playing bad, my leak is making some really spew-a-rific bluff raises in weird spots. This seemed like a decent spot to checkraise bluff if ever, so I decided to let it rip [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think the moral of the story is that checkraise bluffing head up against most opponents heads up is just plain bad.

Considering my opponents aggressive stats but passive flop/turn play, I doubted he had stronger than top pair here but I guess its pretty doubtfull that he'd fold a ten here either.

Suprised to see him roll Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on final board of [T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]][5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]][3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

Thanks for the input everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: River checkraise bluff

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been enjoying the novelty of check raising the river a bunch for value, with varying degrees of success.

[/ QUOTE ]if by varying degrees of success you mean they pay it off every time then ive had similar results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant varying degrees of success with people actually betting the river so I can actually checkraise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You are certainly correct that most people are never folding a made hand to a river checkraise head up.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: ***Results***

I was out of line with the other respondees. Sure, he's never going to fold top pair here, but the post would have been more interesting if he (the thinking TAG) had called with a mid/low flop pair eg 6s. I agree you have to pick your spot - and your opponent - very carefully for this to work +EV because it's a 2BB spew otherwise; I think your post suggested he was a reasonable candidate to try it on. But it remains the case that once a player has invested 1 bet at the river they are far less likely to fold if they have anything. On the other hand, you can out-bluff a river stealer on occasion here with a c/r.

FWIW I currently never c/r the river as a bluff. I might try it though - in the right place. I'll report back. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: River checkraise bluff

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting called by any pair on Party close to 100% of the time.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially when it's a SB/BB hand.