Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Tilt + Bad Play = Big Win?

The following post has little too no content so if you are on a busy schedule I would advise you to skip over this one. However if you have a few minutes to spare you may pick up a thing or two from my bad play.

Remember Your “Good Beats”
“A “good beat” occurs when you are the lucky idiot who misplays his hand, catches a miracle card, and wins a large pot. Because we want to believe that we play well, but are unlucky, we remember bad beats, but forget good ones.”

Here is my good beat story and one that hopefully will give me the mental fortitude to avoid tilting next time some other player hits his long shot card.

I started the day playing my usual 3/6 multi-tableling and played close to 1,500 hands showing a loss of $28 for the day. After I finished my session I did a few things around the house and since I had about 30 minutes to waste until my wife got home I jumped on a $1-$2 NL table just for fun.

By the time my wife got home I was up $227. So $227 1 table 30minutes vs. $28 multi-tables 4 hours, hmmmm… Needless to say I couldn’t wait to log on the NL tables again and continue my rush.
Well as luck would have it or lack of luck for that matter I quickly lost $400 when my AK missed the flop, my Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] saw a flop of A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], my KK was busted all-in vs. JJ and my KK was busted all-in pre-flop vs. AA. Being that my luck had changed and I was getting great 2nd hands I decided not to quit and go to bed (which would have been the smart thing to do) but to make all my money back on the $15-$30 game. I mean why quit when you are on tilt?

So I logged on to the $15/$30 and quickly lost another $200 playing cards I should have and calling made hands all the way down to make sure I wasn’t being bluffed.

At the pinnacle of my tilt, the time I felt like I hated this game yet I couldn’t wait to play the next hand I look down to see K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the bb and what happened next is my story.

4 players limped into my BB and of course I raised, it went back around got re-raised, called, re-raised by me and capped with all 4 of us still in the pot.
The flop was beautiful K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I bet it got called and re-raised. I re-raised again and again it was capped with no one dropping out.
The turn of course was the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Making the board K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but the flush and straights out there weren’t going to stop me.
So I bet it got re-raised and re-raised again and once again it was capped with everyone still playing.

The river was the beautiful Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet and it was called around and the pot was pushed to me. After reading but not replying to their insults, on how on-line poker is rigged, and how I was a bot, etc. I logged off; took one more looked at my account and went to bed happy after showing a nice profit for my tilt session.

The hand history showed that they had:

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ; 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ; A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Pre-Flop

Kh Qd = 25.5%
Js Jd = 31%
4c 4h = 17.5%
Ac 9c = 26%

Flop = Kc Qc 4s

Post-Flop

Kh Qd = 18%
Js Jd = 5%
4c 4h = 48%
Ac 9c = 29%

Turn = Jc

Kh Qd = 10%
Js Jd = 2.5%
4c 4h = 2.5%
Ac 9c = 85%

River = Qh

Two things to remember:

1) Next time you lose a hand(s) and start feeling steam coming out of your head, just take a deep breath and remember one of your “Good Beats”.

2) Don’t play above your limits too make it all back in one hand since I would like to type in a disclaimer that the “results of this hand/session are not typical” and most of the time idiot moves like this one result in getting broke.

Good Luck all
Old 09-22-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Tilt + Bad Play = Big Win?

YSSCKY
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean? Although I am guessing it can't be good.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 AM

Been there, done that...Try not to do it anymore, but sometimes I still do. Meh..
Old 09-22-2005, 01:54 AM

notice how holdthis starts the hand with about $700 above 2k. that's pretty much mine. so here is my "goodbeat"

***** Hand History for Game 2734976987 *****
0/0 Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) - Sun Sep 18 19:06:04 EDT 2005
Table Table 51969 (Real Money) -- Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 2: HoldThis72 ( $2784)
Seat 4: xxx ( $1940)
Seat 6: ladgez ( $485.50)
Seat 10: diamonds_roc ( $1450)
diamonds_roc posts small blind (10)
HoldThis72 posts big blind (20)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to xxx [ Th, 9h ]
xxx raises (70) to 70
ladgez folds.
diamonds_roc folds.
HoldThis72 calls (50)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6s, Ts, Kh ]
HoldThis72 checks.
xxx bets (115)
HoldThis72 raises (230) to 230
xxx raises (485) to 600
HoldThis72 calls (370)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5h ]
HoldThis72 checks.
xxx bets (1270)
xxx is all-In.
HoldThis72 calls (1270)
** Dealing River ** : [ 3h ]
Creating Main Pot with $3888 with ge0ffym0lly
** Summary **
Main Pot: $3888 | | Rake: $2
Board: [ 6s Ts Kh 5h 3h ]
HoldThis72 balance $844, lost $1940 [ Tc Kd ] [ two pairs, kings and tens -- Kd,Kh,Tc,Ts,6s ]
xxx balance $3888, bet $1940, collected $3888, net +$1948 [ Th 9h ] [ a flush, king high -- Kh,Th,9h,5h,3h ]
ladgez balance $485.50, didn't bet (folded)
diamonds_roc balance $1440, lost $10 (folded)