Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Posting in MP3

How much money do I lose by doing this, if I'm a winning player?

--Dave.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Posting in MP3

Mm, just a quick answer, but wouldn't the loss be a big blind minus the EV/hand of the remaining positions. So if you rock at poker, maybe you won't lose at all.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:18 AM

Ed made an off-hand comment about this in SSH. It was in one of the hand examples where you post in MP with Q8s. It is either a footnote, or an aside within the answer where he says some people will object to posting in MP but he considers the argument a waste of time. My general impression of the comment is that the -EV nature of posting to play a hand in poor position is made up for in extra hands played against poor opponents. So, it costs you less than 1 SB to post and this is much smaller than many of your other decisions even on that first hand.

I, personally, don't like to post at a position worse than CO. If I have to wait 5 or 6 hands, I can observe the table and make up for my potential losses by making better reads in my early hands.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 AM

its the 3rd best position, so it won't be much since you get 6hands for the blind, and make much of it up right away
Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed made an off-hand comment about this in SSH. It was in one of the hand examples where you post in MP with Q8s. It is either a footnote, or an aside within the answer where he says some people will object to posting in MP but he considers the argument a waste of time. My general impression of the comment is that the -EV nature of posting to play a hand in poor position is made up for in extra hands played against poor opponents. So, it costs you less than 1 SB to post and this is much smaller than many of your other decisions even on that first hand.

I, personally, don't like to post at a position worse than CO. If I have to wait 5 or 6 hands, I can observe the table and make up for my potential losses by making better reads in my early hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you nailed it on the head here...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:08 AM

Posting in the BB: See 10 hands for 1.5 SB = -0.15 SB/hand
Posting in the CO: See 7 hands for 1 SB = -0.143 SB/hand
Posting in MP3: See 6 hands for 1 SB = -0.167 SB/hand

Posting in MP3 is fine IMO. I generally don't like to post any sooner than that though.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in this matter... consider this to apply to the whole thread.

At a game with good players, this is best practice for sure, even if you're a regular at the game. As your edge is smaller vs these guys, you're going to NEED to be totally on top of the game when you play your first hand.

It's probably good to observe for a bit when you're new to a game also, unless you have some reason to think that the players won't be good.

In my opinion, this is the strongest argument that I've heard / made for waiting to post.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:47 PM

By posting in MP3 we'll pay 0.17 SB/hand ( 1/6 = 0.17 ). By posting as usaul in SB and BB we pay 15 SB/hand ( 1.5/10 = 0.15 ). So you're paying 0.02 SB/hand ( 0.17 - 0.15 = 0.02 ) more than usual. That equals 1 BB/100 ( (0.02*100)/2 = 1 ). So if you're a player winning 1 BB/100 you'll break even by posting in MP3.

The same calculation could be made for MP2 and it will show you that you need to win 2.5 BB/100 to break even. For MP1 5 BB/100, so in MP1 it will become hard even for the best players to post for profit.

One aspect this calculation don't take into consideration is the fact that you'll lose less by posting with better position in MP3 than by posting OOP in BB. Since you'll be able to use the position to your advantage (maybe stealing from MP3) the loss will become even less than 1 BB/100 from MP3.

Conclusion: A good player will easily be making money by posting in MP3. He will even benefit from posting in MP2.

I assume a 10-handeed game.