Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Default AKs in the SB

No reads on anyone, this is my 3rd hand at the table.

Looking for feedback on all streets, but more specifically how do you handle this Turn raise? Also, given the propensity of Party players to wait until the turn to raise wqith trips, does anyone check the Turn with top two on a paired board....or is that just way too weak-tight?

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO checks, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.00 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (13.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.00 BB.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: AKs in the SB

I play it the same. Tough luck if he flopped trips, but a lot of players are going to raise the turn with a weaker ace, too. If they bother to think about it, they're chopping with any other ace you could have besides AK (or A2).

There is no way in heaven or hell that you should be checking the turn.

BTW, how could your 3rd hand at the table be from the SB? Unless this was a short-handed table that filled up in a hurry, this means that you posted from UTG...and that is bad. Very bad.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, how could your 3rd hand at the table be from the SB? Unless this was a short-handed table that filled up in a hurry, this means that you posted from UTG...and that is bad. Very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the feedback Harv.

I actually sat down in the "UTG spot" and waited for the BB. So I watched 1 hand and played 2 (BB and SB). Sorry if I screwed up the explanation.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 AM

With a read that the CO is even reasonably aggressive, I would three-bet the turn in a heartbeat. I don't mind calling down after an unknown raises the turn, though. That said, I also might give serious consideration to a three bet.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:02 AM

You're not 3-betting the turn Harv? What if CO had limped and not posted?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not 3-betting the turn Harv? What if CO had limped and not posted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I didn't even catch that. Yeah that makes calling down much more prudent in this spot. I wouldn't consider a 3-bet here against typical players. It is much tougher for a limper to have a 2 in this spot so it makes more sense to 3-bet against a limper unless we had some crazy read (like 90/3/.3)

Brad
Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 AM

i wouldn't 3-bet there, because i would convince myself that he wouldn't be raising here with any Ax/Kx hand that we beat/tie except for AK, and he would've raised preflop with AK.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I actually sat down in the "UTG spot" and waited for the BB. So I watched 1 hand and played 2 (BB and SB). Sorry if I screwed up the explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew.

Anyway, if CO posts I'm more prone to call down as you did. If CO limps, I'm more prone to 3-bet.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Results

CO did not post, he actually called preflop with 32o, which about sums up the last two days for me.

Thanks for your input all. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:11 AM

I think I'de play it the same. Whatever the outcome you can probably make a note on him.