Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: fold a set on the flop.

frostbrn. i really like your post. with this line of thinking, you won't be in the small stakes mtt's much longer. one thing i should mention is that my image at the table would probably be pretty solid so i don't think it would make the other player a poker god to deduce that i have an inferior set to jj if that's what he holds. however, i think you're right that raising all in with jj is probably a mistake. since we both know that the rock has an overpair (he rarely made continuation bets after raising pf), he could have called the turn trying to entice an overcall. this would certainly be a vote that he has 44 not jj.

i think i made the right call with 77. what i was wondering is if a better player might have layed this down. the guy next to me called it a "crying call with middle set". i thought that was pretty classless.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
frostbrn. i really like your post. with this line of thinking, you won't be in the small stakes mtt's much longer. one thing i should mention is that my image at the table would probably be pretty solid so i don't think it would make the other player a poker god to deduce that i have an inferior set to jj if that's what he holds. however, i think you're right that raising all in with jj is probably a mistake. since we both know that the rock has an overpair (he rarely made continuation bets after raising pf), he could have called the turn trying to entice an overcall. this would certainly be a vote that he has 44 not jj.

i think i made the right call with 77. what i was wondering is if a better player might have layed this down. the guy next to me called it a "crying call with middle set". i thought that was pretty classless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you posting what the villain had?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 PM

actually, i don't think it's relevant because it's a question of discussion on what the right play is, not whether i won or lost.

i want people to decide for themselves what are his range of holdings and the likelihood of each. the decision is more important; i'll post the answer soon.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, i don't think it's relevant because it's a question of discussion on what the right play is, not whether i won or lost.

i want people to decide for themselves what are his range of holdings and the likelihood of each. the decision is more important; i'll post the answer soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude.

The only way anyone here is folding 77 on that board (or 44 for that matter) is if you had an absolute read on a tell. Like every time he has top set he picks his nose. But only when he has top set. And he told you "I pick my nose when I have top set". And you know he's not lying, because he's hooked up to a lie detector test.

Or maybe if God commanded me to "lay down that set, now". Maybe.

Set overset happens so rarely you have to pay it off when it does. There's really not much discussion here.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you posting what the villain had?

[/ QUOTE ]

He had the jacks. That seems obvious if another player called it a "crying call with middle set."
Old 09-20-2005, 04:28 PM

Obviously villain had the jacks of course, but like HH said, whether he won or lost is not the important part of this poist.

Not unlike KK vs. AA preflop, posters in the MTT forum will have won only 1 out of every 36 hands that are posted here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]