Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Best restaurants in NYC

[ QUOTE ]
I think John's is absolutely the best pizza, although I admit that I have not been to Grimaldi's. I find John's tastier than Patsie's and Lombardi's. Joe's on Bleecker is okay for a place that sells slices but all the slice places suck anyway. NYC pizza is hugely overrated in general, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate at Lombardi's last night for the first time. I thought it was very good, but was underwhelmed after all the hype. I might prefer John's, it's close. My favorite NYC-style pizza is probably Marcello's in SF.

Chocolate cannoli from Ferrara was great and won out over Rice to Riches for dessert. Close call, though, as I've been wanting to go to Rice to Riches for a long time.

We found that winning stuffed animals is a great conversation starter w/ chicks around the San Gennaro festival area. We also found that taking stuffed animals to other bars nowehere near the street festival just makes everyone think you are ridiculous.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We also found that taking stuffed animals to other bars nowehere near the street festival just makes everyone think you are ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you should have been wearing your mask.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think John's is absolutely the best pizza, although I admit that I have not been to Grimaldi's. I find John's tastier than Patsie's and Lombardi's. Joe's on Bleecker is okay for a place that sells slices but all the slice places suck anyway. NYC pizza is hugely overrated in general, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I walked by Joe's (the one down the block from Grey Dog, right?) a couple of months ago and it was gone, replaced by Dominos.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gramercy Tavern. Eat at the bar (u won' get reservations for the dining room). The bar area is great (not what u're thinking), the food is outstanding, and the service is the best in NYC. Rated #1 in Zagat for the past 5,000,000 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

The food is terrific and you can pretty much always eat at the bar. I actually prefer stopping by spur of the moment and eating at the bar (Union Square Cafe is very good for this too) than most planned nights out.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite NYC-style pizza is probably Marcello's in SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marcello's is terrific but I prefer Grimaldi's.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:40 PM

Around Union Square you can't go wrong with Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Il Cantinori, Casa Mono, and, Les Halles (a little more uptown on Park).

Generally, in NYC, I love Per Se, Peter Luger, Cafe Boulud, Dumont, Momofuko, Frank's (and Lil' Frankie's), City Hall, Le Jardin Bistro, CraftBar (although I haven't been since it moved to Broadway), Soba Nippon, Joe Shanghai, Congee Village. There are still tons of places I want to try.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Around Union Square you can't go wrong with Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Il Cantinori, Casa Mono, and, Les Halles (a little more uptown on Park).

Generally, in NYC, I love Per Se, Peter Luger, Cafe Boulud, Dumont, Momofuko, Frank's (and Lil' Frankie's), City Hall, Le Jardin Bistro, CraftBar (although I haven't been since it moved to Broadway), Soba Nippon, Joe Shanghai, Congee Village. There are still tons of places I want to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good picks although Les Halles has gone down hill significantly (or at least had the last time I was there).

Below 14th St: All Danny Meyer restaurants are excellent, especially Union Sq. Cafe. Babbo is probably my favorite restaurant in all of Manhattan; Mario Batali's other restaurants and projects are almost uniformly good, though I've had some bad experiences at Otto.

The Frank Empire (Frank, Supper, Lil Frankie's) in the East Village is a great option on a smaller budget.

Blue Ribbon, Inoteca and Bar Veloce are indespinsible late night stops.

Best pizza in NYC is DiFara's in Midwood, BK and it's not even close. If I had to get a slice in Manhattan I'd be inclined to go up to Patsy's in East Harlem or Sal and Carmine's on the Upper West Side (assuming both are still as good as they were a couple years ago, which might not be the case). I can't think of a great slice anywhere in lower Manhattan.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 PM

Veritas and Jewel Bako are both very good.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 AM

thanks everybody, especially el d and sfer for the detailed suggestions
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 AM

Per Se
Le Bernardin
Bouley
March

These are some of my favorites. They're not cheap.