Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Default math for PLO8

I've searched the archives and didn't find too much.

I did a bit of reading on Ribbo's site, and looking at the first hand (from memory), he flopped a hand that had the K-high flush draw. He quoted some probabilites, something like a 33% chance that the A of that suit is in play and a 50% chance that if it's in play that it's suited.

Do good players calculate these things on the fly? Are they memorized? Or were the numbers simply used as a means to analyse the hand afterwards, but weren't known while playing? If you do know stuff like this during the hand, how do you apply it to decide whether to push, fold or call?

I don't really know any of the math that's involved in PLO8. Where should I start? BTW, I have a strong foundation of pot odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds, etc cause I use them all the time for HE Tournament play. I just don't even really know how to calculate pot odds on a split pot game.

If you can point me to some good math threads it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: math for PLO8

My site has some math of Omaha numbers www.o8poker.com
The probability forum also has some questions occasionally.

In general, people memorize the key stats. Almost no one tries calculating these things at the table, except in the most general way (ie. “I have ~12 outs here that are mostly good, so I call”). You calculate them in the forum or ahead of time so when you are at the table you are more likely to be right.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do good players calculate these things on the fly? Are they memorized? Or were the numbers simply used as a means to analyse the hand afterwards, but weren't known while playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

se2schul - All three.

I make some calulations on the fly, mostly comparing odds against making my draw to implied pot odds. This is often more complex than in Texas hold 'em because of the split-pot nature of Omaha-8 and because you'll often have some scoop outs and some partial pot outs.

I have never sat down and tried to memorize a table of probabilities. (I think I'd soon forget it, if I did). However, I do have some probabilities committed to memory, because of dealing with and figuring them over and over. Even if you don't remember the exact probabilities you should recognize you probably don't have favorable odds to draw for:
• low when the flop has two high cards.
• a flush when the board is paired
• a straight when the board is paired or flushed.

And there are various other situations for which you don't know the exact odds, but when you should recognize it behooves you to fold to a bet.

Then there are some situations that are very complicated. Maybe after the flop you have some outs for both high and low plus back-door possibilities. Experience and spending time analyzing hands seems worthwhile for these very complicated situations.

Just the way I do it.

Buzz
Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 PM

If you play online, I found keeping Gregery's site open with it's numbers helps (Of course, the second monitor lets me keep it all up at the same time). Eventually, the numbers are like second nature.