Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: NFL Preseason predictions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be rooting for you to make the super bowl so if the Bills get there, one of us will actually get to win

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just you, but I find all this vikings going to the super bowl talk funny. I have nothing against them, and I hope they win the division, but going to the super bowl... I dont see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have MIN in the Super Bowl almost by default. They're in a very weak division -- Pro Football Prospectus has the Bears and Packers with less than a 25% chance of being over .500 and Detroit with about a one-in-three chance. (Minnesota is at 37%.) I expect turmoil in Detroit just due to the youth of the WRs and the QB controversy that will certainly bubble up, and give Minny the divisional crown.

The East is Philly's even without TO. The other two divisions will be difficult for any team to get through cleanly, as each have a number of good teams. In any event, I expect the Vikings to be the #2 or #3 seed in the playoffs, with PHI being #1.

I'm not willing to put the Eagles back in the Super Bowl, given the general turmoil and their proven ability to fail in the NFC title game (with last year's rare exception). Plus, I think MIN's biggest weakness is going to be their lack of cohesiveness on both sides of the ball. As that will improve over the season, their chances at a strong playoff run are good. This is especially true because there is no strong favorite to the contrary; that is, whomever comes out of the NFC will be a "good+" team, and not a great one.

I still may end up revising my picks so that Carolina comes out of the NFC, but until they show me that their motley crew of RBs and their Wahle-less O-line lends themselves to a good running game, I'm standing pat.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Even with the loss of Abraham I think our secondary will be better than it was last year. Supposedly Derrrick Strait has been the most improved player this offseason, David Barrett really came on late last year and played great in the playoffs. I doubt Justin Miller will add much in his first year, but with him and Mickens its not an awful rotation.

The other thing that no one has mentioned is safety Eric Coleman, last year's 5th round pick who was flat out awesome. The other safety is a problem given the brittle John McGraw.

Of course, the Jets pass defense depends entirely on our pass rush which with Ellis, Abe and Robertson could be the best in the league.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:54 AM

Bump because the vikings [censored] pwn.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Prediction #1 -- Super Bowl - Eagles vs. Patriots, Patriots win. That was easy.

Prediction #2 (For the dumbasses putting them in the SB) -- Minnesota will start off 6-1 and finish at 9-7, losing in the WC round.

-- Homer
Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Prediction #2 (For the dumbasses putting them in the SB) -- Minnesota will start off 6-1 and finish at 9-7, losing in the WC round.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think the opposite. They'll really come on at the end of the year when the D has jelled and the O has learned to live without Moss. 10-6 probably. That division is really weak so I wouldn't be surprised if they win it. If Detroit had a D I'd pick them.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:20 PM

My extremely biased opinion -

AFC West

Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Prediction #2 (For the smart dudes putting them in the SB) -- Minnesota will start off 6-0 and finish at 16-0, winning the super bowl.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 PM

Anyone want a mulligan?