Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Best way to deal with experts?

I had three good games going today with a few fish in each. You know... your typical calling station type, plays almost every hand, cold-calls two bets pre-flop with any average hand, etc.

And in each game some "expert" who lost with a "superior hand" starts berating all the "idiots throwing their money away". They go off non-stop until they drive the fish away. Obviously the so-called expert is anything but, not even mentioning their bad play, but no true pro would be anything but the most cordial to them fish!

I know we've all seen them before, but it seems with the current popularity of online poker there are a lot of wannabe's who thing their an expert just b/c they've read a couple books.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to deal with these experts?
Old 09-13-2003, 07:06 AM

Default Re: This is what I do .....

I'm 3-4 days new to Party, but I have made use of the Floorperson button. And only for this very reason. But I have had to do it twice. First however I always immediately
just say "hey be nice" If they continue I suggest it is not nice to berate players. And as we usually want the guy that just sucked out miracle cards to stay there, I nicely tell them to play any way they wish. Just have a good time. Thats what we are all here for. If the numbnuts continues I just call for a floorperson and complain. So far so good.

UB, different story. I write down the hand #'s range that this occured and send an e-mail. They get silenced from chat privleges.

In live games where I deal, I first look the scolding player in the eye. They now the look. If they continue I nicely ask them to calm down, be nice. If they persist I call the floor.

This happens all the time. Rolf Slotboom just wrote an article in Card Player along these lines too. And it's always the wannabe pro making the noise. They kill thier own action. How profitable can that be? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Best way to deal with experts?

I tend to take the side of the fish and use some sarcasm.

I do what the 'experts' do, except on the fishes side, I'll talk to the fish as if the 'expert' isn't there.

Some fun phrases that give the fish a smile could be:

"Don't you love the way that all the geniuses on this site play 1/2"

"Hey 'fishname', need a hand scooping that pot in?"

"Don't lose it all back, 'expertname' will need to borrow some in a minute"

etc

Some experts will also respond to a few hints, and others are even fishier than the fishies.

Everyone wants a nice game to play in, and although we all lose the plot occasionally, just making the game fun is what people want.

Some of these expert types are smart enough to cool it down if you drop them a hint.

Lori
Old 09-13-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Re: This is what I do .....

I just repeatedly post the link to the following Negreanu article until they get the hint:

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/a...negreanu13.htm

If they still insist on killing their own action, I helpfully point out that according to Negreanu, they are a "moron"...and direct them to the article for an explaination...
Old 09-13-2003, 05:38 PM

Try engaging them in a seemingly unrelated chat (a little later), such as

"Say [....]. do you fish much around [wherever] ?,"

Regardless of the reply or lack thereof, follow with

"It's not a good idea to bang on the side of the boat".

Surprisingly effective.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:45 PM

Or "Don't tap the aquarium!"