Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 12:20 AM

Default moving up a limit at party

i've been playing the .50/1.00 tables and i've made about 350 BB so far.

how much more should my bankroll grow before i move up to 1-2 if any?

what specific differences are there between .50/1.00 and 1-2 if any. thanks!
Old 09-13-2003, 12:29 AM

Default Re: moving up a limit at party

Depends on how big your bankroll is, how much risk you can handle, if you can replenish your bankroll if you go bust...yadda.

I'd recommend having at least $500 before making the jump to 1/2...if you can replenish your roll if you bust you can go up as soon as you have the buy-in.

1/2 and .50/1 are pretty similar (IMHO), you'll see slightly better players, but no major differences until you get to 2/4...the big difference is that tilting is going to cost you a lot more than it did at the lower limit, so not being able to control yourself can ruin all the work you did over the last couple weeks/months.

Good luck,
jHE
Old 09-13-2003, 11:09 AM

No difference in skill of players, almost all newbies and bad players at both limits.

I suggest 300 big bets bankroll at the higher limit before you move up to it.

al
Old 09-13-2003, 11:49 AM

Good advice from the other posters - I like what Jason said about the major difference being what tilt can do to your bankroll. That said, I'd make the move or at least test the waters once or twice.

The biggest difference in play may come from you - - you have to play with the same confidence that allowed you to build the stake in the first place, at a lower limit. If the new limit intimidates you, you can't be successful. If yuo can play the same way, I'd predict the same success for you.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 PM

ccnbme9,
In addition to your bankroll I would also consider how well you think you are playing.

I was up 200 bb at .5/1, skipped 1/2 and found my sweet spot at 2/4. Of course I was able to replenish my roll if needed, but thankfully I am up a moderate sum since the jump.

My feeling is players at the 2/4 level tend to play just slightly better. Certain moves tend to work more such as semi-bluffing, check-raising, etc.

I am not suggesting you move to the 2/4 level just to play these moves, I'm merely saying the battle rhythm of the game is different.

Remember table selection is crucial to finding a game suitable for your comfort level. IMO even more so at higher levels.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:07 PM

Experiment new playing styles! Get some alcohol (drinkable), some masking tape, and felt pens. Cover your cards with masking tape, then draw black on it so you can't see through. If you want to, draw AA on them with another color. Now try to win games at no limit. Then when you're back at 50$ just win it back on .5/1$.

Oh wait, don't do that! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 07:48 PM

ccnbme9, I remember playing against you last week. You were
very consistant and seemed to have great patience. From what I've learned here, you are good to go to the next
limit.
I admire you for getting 350 BB ahead in .5/1 on PP.
I can't seem to get there. I started with 100 dollars and
have been up to 160 and down to 38, then back to 150 and
now down to 32. No doubt I'll have to replenish.
I've read three of the highly recommended books but am
still playing trash hands because I feel like I'm not seeing enough flops even at 60 percent. I just read Ken
Warrens book and he highly stresses to throw way all
Ax unsuited and all Kx unsuited. I have thought back and
no doubt that is where my money went. Too many times I play
A or K with an unsuited small card. I've been playing
for 2 months.
This is your post and I know I've went off on a tangent
about me, but you're the first player/poster I know I've set
at the same table with and more importantly, you are a
successful player and I would like your comment.
Have you had drawdowns of 50 to 75 BB or have you steadily
been winning?
Thanks for listening and good luck in 1/2.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:02 PM

I think that the bankroll requirements posted here are a little steep. If you've won 350bbs at .50/1 and read 2+2, you're much better than the average 1/2 player; the skill difference is really minimal between the limits. We're (presumably) not talking about money which it would crush you to lose. I'd say take $160 of your winnings and play the 1/2. If you lose that, drop back down and you still have a sufficient roll for .50/1
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you had drawdowns of 50 to 75 BB or have you steadily
been winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

when i started playing limit in july i didn't do so well. i think i lost something in the range of 50-75 BB. bear in mind that a swing of 75BB isn't as nasty as it can get sometimes, even for a good player, i think.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I'm not seeing enough flops even at 60 percent

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the biggest reason for the problems you might be facing. 60% is way too high.

try to play only cards that have the potential to flop big. big and medium suited connectors, pocket pairs(looking for a three of a kind one the flop, if not fold). homer made a post that is very good about microlimits:

"1) Play hands that have the potential to flop big.

-- Play big suited cards, all pairs, and Axs.

2) Be careful with big unsuited cards (e.g. - KJo, ATo, QJo, etc).

-- Often, you will get to the river with top-pair only to be beaten by a raggedy two-pair. These hands prefer to be played shorthanded, which isn't going to happen in a loose-passive game.

3) Value bet (With big hands and big draws)

-- When you flop the best hand, bet like there's no tomorrow. Do not slowplay, you will be called (in multiple places).

-- When you flop a big draw, take advantage of the number of players in the pot and pump the hell out of them. You'll make oodles of money from pumping nut-flush draws and straight draws (hell, sometimes you'll even have opportunities to do things like pumping a set on a monotone flop)

4) Chase?

-- When you don't flop the best hand, use pot odds and implied odds to determine whether you should continue with the hand. If you do, continue. If you don't, fold. Resist the urge to chase. There's nothing fancy about this but it gets the job done.

5) Do not bluff.

-- They won't fold. This is why you should value bet at every opportunity. "

poker is more than just reading books and calculating odds. much of the game is about experience. most of which i still don't have. keep playing and aim for probably a 20-25% flop's seen percentage. that is what everyone advocates as sound preflop srategy, even though mine is higher, but i'm crazy sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

i dunno what else to say, posting your hands here will go a long way. so do it! feel free to ask questions.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the comments. And good luck in your move up
to higher limits.