Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 02:02 PM

Default First final table for me

My first final table in a tournament with over 400 people, and I think I could have done better.

There were 7 of us left and the blinds were 10k/20k, I was 5th stack with 60k(and 20k invested in the big blind). Short stacks were 45k and 50k both directly to my left and due for the blinds.

Hand is dealt. First two guys fold to a guy with about 200k who makes it 40k, something he has been doing alot of. Folds around to me, I'm looking at A-10 and I decide to push all in. He calls with A-Q and spikes a queen just to rub it in. Im out in a measily 7th place!! I can't stop thinking if I made a reasonable play or if I should have waited??
Old 09-16-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: First final table for me

iwth only 3 BB's theres only so much you can do.. not uunreasonable to push there
Old 09-16-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first final table in a tournament with over 400 people, and I think I could have done better.

There were 7 of us left and the blinds were 10k/20k, I was 5th stack with 60k(and 20k invested in the big blind). Short stacks were 45k and 50k both directly to my left and due for the blinds.

Hand is dealt. First two guys fold to a guy with about 200k who makes it 40k, something he has been doing alot of. Folds around to me, I'm looking at A-10 and I decide to push all in. He calls with A-Q and spikes a queen just to rub it in. Im out in a measily 7th place!! I can't stop thinking if I made a reasonable play or if I should have waited??

[/ QUOTE ]

standard...I wouldnt even wink over this play. I would think about how I let myself get down to 60k and think about where and when I missed some opportunites to blind steal before I got that low.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Wait for what?

Why didn't you push the previous two hands?

Assuming no ante, you are getting 2.3-1 on your money with a strong hand. I might fold 32o here. If you saw your opponent's cards, this is an easy fold.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:31 PM

I guess I'm just doubting the play becuase of the outcome, wouldn't have posted this if I had won. I had been playing aggressive and got stuck at 80k when the blind hit me. Was thinking I could have just waited the two short stacks out and increased my earnings.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 PM

7-handed with the blinds at that size relative to your stack doesn't give you a lot of time to wait. You're better off playing to win with your good hands and then being pleased with yourself for outplaying 390 other people and making money if you get beat.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 PM

the actual field was little over 750, I'm just never happy with any of my wins in poker, just makes me look for more. This post has made me feel better about my move, or maybe it was all the alcohol I drank last night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 03:19 PM

you didn't have much choice with your situation. i've been in the same situation too many times at the final table myself,and the most effective play i've found to get back into the tourney and get some chips,is push all my chips to the middle every time i'm able to open the pot from a mid to late position,until my stack is back to a reasonable amount.might sound crazy,but it's more effective then waiting for a big hand and getting blinded off.i'll often fold good hands from an early position(like aj or 77),and push junk from a mid/late position when able to open the pot.
of course sometimes it pays to wait and let some other guys go out,i mainly do this when i'm the low stack at the final table,and there's not that much extra money to move up a spot or two.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 PM

Don't regret this move at ALL...

You can't sit around and wait for an even better hand here...

Don't be so results-oriented, take the beat and move on.