Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM

Default All-in with T3o - was it correct?

Hi, Live MTT, 2500 starting chips, half the field gone. I have 2750 before posting the BB of 300. MP limps, folded to me. I don't think he has a monster as 2 huge stacks were in the cutoff and button, and while he may have been slowplaying, i thought he had an average hand that he was hoping to see the flop cheaply with. BTW, he has about 10K. I look down at T3o and move all-in, figuring there's a decent chance to win the pot there, but even if he calls, i am getting 2.3-1 on my money and so only need to win about 30% for there to be value there. As it happens, he calls with QJo (so i am exactly 30%) and he hits a straight... was the play correct given i felt he was more than likley to have 2 overcards and the extra possibility of him folding?

PS he was new to the table, if i had felt he'd call with QJo i wouldn't have made the play.

PPS Is there a case for a stop and go play here?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: All-in with T3o - was it correct?

Pushing every low +EV situation vs big stacks is a good way to get busted quickly. Can only win so many coin flips. I think even with the FE, MP may dream up a few reasons to call.

I really don't want my tourney life on the line with such a marginal hand.

Outside of the math, I wait for a better spot.

P
Old 09-16-2005, 09:55 AM

I think you stack is too small for this move. I like punishing habitual limpers, but you can't do it if they are not afraid of your stack.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:58 AM

i would have read his mid position limp as a mid or low pair,and with your stack he's most likely calling a push,thinking big ace and a coin flip. i would just take a flop here,and be happy i got to see one in the blind with your stack level,and hope you flop a good one,or atleast some scare cards for the limper,so you can take down the pot.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:38 AM

How are you getting 2.3-1 on your money? Assuming 150/300/50, you are betting 2450 to win 3700, so 1.5-1. Without ante 2450 to win 3200 1.3-1.

Villain is also getting some odds to call. He may not put you on T3o, but a push from a short stack in the BB is not scary. I don't think you have much folding equity.

I guess there was no ante, and 2.3-1 was a mistake for 1.3-1. I don't think you have the pot odds or folding equity to make up for your weak hand.

With KTo, A7o, 76s, Q8s, or 22, I would go ahead and make the push. I think your hand is too weak for that.