Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup

I did what you want to do and in retrospective i do not think that its a good idea.

like previous posters suggested you should start at a decent level 50NL is the minimum i think.

from my opinion you dont really learn to play good poker at the microlimits since the game is totally different from the say 200/400NL tables where you actually can make money.

also i doubt that you are a good player if you know where you loose your money but still keep on doing it on and on.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm sorry but your 2nd post in this thread got under my skin a little. If you're moving up to the $25 tables and going broke, then you probably aren't that good at poker. The NL25 games are some of the easiest I've seen. If you play a tight, solid game, you should have no trouble crushing these. I think the best advice that I've seen so far on this thread is the same advice that you didn't want to hear, which was to improve at poker. There are people at NL2000 and up constantly working on their game, but you don't want to hear that advice because you made $15 at the .05/.10 tables? Give me a break.

As for my advice, I'd post some hands from losing sessions when you try to move up. I know the sound of getting help on your game isn't appealing to you, but it's a good thing to do. If you feel like you're actually beating the game at this level, then you're under bankrolled. That's easy enough of a problem to fix. If you feel like you're being outplayed, then yes, improvement is the only way not to continue your cycle of going broke. But I'd deposit 3-500 dollars and play NL25. After you work your way up to 800-1000, you should be ready to move up, and this shouldn't take that long to do.

One final though... you probably aren't getting that many 'success stories' because just not that many people start with a 50 dollar deposit and turn it into 6000. A lot of people are fortunate enough to be able to make a large first deposit or they have a big multi-table win or something of that nature to get rolled. I put $120 in and played 5.50 SNGs when I was getting started. I think you'd build a roll quicker this way than grinding the NL10 tables or whatever you're playing. But that's my .02, none of which you probably wanted to hear because you're so good.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup etc.

If you get pounded when you move up one level, you're not good at poker.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup etc.

To the OP - Do you have pokertracker? If not, get it. Once you have pokertracker the best advice I can give you for grinding at the $10s is to PLAY FOR PT BBs, NOT $. Play at least 25,000 hands before moving up to the 25s to be absolutely sure that you are beating this game. Always work to improve your game. Study the forum when youre not playing. You may already be an above average player, but you are nowhere near the player you potentially could be. Work hard, stay disciplined, and you should be making decent money in a few months.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 PM

What's PT BB's?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started my way into 2/4, but I've had a hell of a run and time doing this.

October 04: deposited $20 into Prima, made it up to $100 playing SnGs and $10 NL, then lost it all.

January 05: deposited another $20 into Prima, made it up to $60, went bust yet again.

February 05: deposited another $20 into Prima, made it up to $220 before I stupidly tried to play 50 NL, lost it all. Then I won a $1k freeroll of 500 entrants for $250, and told myself to stop [censored] around and get to business. Played 10 NL, worked up to about 400, then played in the $100k freeroll, got in the money (which meant a lot to me, had to place in a satellite first), doubled my bankroll to $800.

Summer 05: Started playing 50 NL from the $800, worked up to $1000. Fluctuated between $1000 and $2000 playing 100 NL and taking shots at 200 NL before finally learning how to play, worked up to $2000, then won another MTT for $1500. Grinded away at 100 NL until I hit $4000, began 4-tabling 200 NL until I hit $6000, then won another MTT for $1100.

So proud of myself for making over $7000 this summer

Just hit $8000 and I'm 2-tabling 400 NL at the moment, not planning to move to 5/10 until I hit that 20 buy-in mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reposting this - just a note, I moved down to 1/2 and cashed out some of my BR, so I have about $6000 now.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit sounds like it's more your bag, actually. Fewer swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. This is the most consistantly wrong "my dick is bigger than yours" type of comment I ever see on any forum.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wrong. This is the most consistantly wrong "my dick is bigger than yours" type of comment I ever see on any forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean by swing. You can't tilt off your whole buy-in in one hand in limit, but you can do it multiple times in NL.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:48 PM

That's true. You should never get all-in at limit; it's a cardinal sin.

I interpret "swings" to be long term variance.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:58 PM

If you win, get cocky, move up a limit or 2, lose your winnings, go on tilt, get mad and lose it all - you´re not good at poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. here's the thing. I'm starting with $150.00.
I've done this a million times in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem pretty stubborn about it as well. Read Al Schoonmaker´s Psychology of Poker.