Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2003, 12:49 PM

Default QQ, PP $25 NL, let me know what you think

I've now been playing with this table for about an hour, and got a good feel for the table. I have $50, I'm the big stack at the table, and I'm in UTG+1.

I'm dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls $.50, I raise to $2.75, 3 fold, one cold caller, 2 more folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
didn't really want to see that.

BB bets $1, hmmm....let's see what his kicker must be. I bet $5, one fold and BB calls. Must be a decent kicker.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He bets $5. Ouch leading into me now, well I'll call, I have too.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
At least now I can reraise and represent a flush or another 8, although who would buy either of those.
He bets $5, I reraise $15........He calls, damn bastard.

Results later, suggestions please.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: QQ, PP $25 NL, let me know what you think

Hi
I think you made a small raise on the flop. If you want to represent, raise at least the pot. If I counted right, there was 10$ in the pot, 11$ with his bet. Raise to 10 or 15.
And when he called, you're sure to be behind, as you say yourself.
There's 25 in the pot with his $5 bet on the turn, and you're not getting the proper odds here. If you call $5 hoping to catch a queen and go all-in, you're getting 5 - 60 (or 1 - 12). (25 in the pot plus your remaining about $35). That's not the about 1 - 20 you'd need for your 2-outer. And he didn't have you covered, since you were the big stack, so you're probably getting even less.
Fold this hand on the turn.
Just what I think,

Nicht Gut
Old 09-12-2003, 01:09 PM

The problem is that even though he seemed to represent having an ace, I thought I could get him to believe my kicker was bigger in the end. I was the preflop raiser, so if he was thinking (which I know is probably not likely) he has to put me on QQ, KK, AKs, maybe AKo or JJ. Combine that with my reraise on the flop and he has to conclude I have AK, at least that's what I would think. So maybe he calls once, just to make sure, then I think were I made the mistake was in not reraising the turn. this would have to make him believe. But, I wussed out.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:32 PM

By "PP" do you mean Party or Paradise? (But I'm not sure it matters.)

Preflop: OK, I like the raise here. A little more would have been better, perhaps, but I don't think it's a a big issue.

Flop: Bad. Just fold and move on to the next hand.

Turn and river: Horrible! Fold fold fold! He called your raise, and then made it clear that he was not impressed by betting out again. Why do you insist on assuming he has crap? He probably has A8, 88, or TT.

I was up and down, with some big swings, on Party PL games (but overall slowly down) until I made one small change in my game. I no longer bluff. Not ever, ever, ever. They are such calling stations that they will call you down with bottom pair. Just take your small loss and move on to the next hand.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 PM

Default results

Don't look if you don't want to know.

Here's why PArty is easy money (maybe partly because I play also)

He turned 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for 10's and 8's.
So I took down a nice $56 pot, $29 for profit.

I find that I can get a lot of people to fold their top pair crappy kicker if I'm persistant, and sometimes when they call your every bet, the end up having crap in the end.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:54 PM

Don't give people too much credit for thinking. I agree that the preflop raise wasnt big enough. The reason you want to bet the pot is so that you know that anyone still in the hand has a reasonable hand, that way you won't get caught trying to bluff people off a bad ace because only big aces will still be there so you have a better idea where you stand and would be able to throw that hand away after he bets the flop. It worked out for you, but I don't think you played the hand well.