Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: 10/20: What the hell is this?! Part 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
villain showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I still don't know what's going on at the 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a totally standard blind-defense line with a hand like AJ? Rather than reraise you preflop he decides to call and check-raise the flop autobet. The turn didn't change who's in front so he bets again hoping you have a worse ace or were peeling with whatever you were stealing with. Finally on the river he decides you'll bet more losing hands than you'll call so he opts to check-call. Seems like a very normal play to me.

Am I totally off base here? I pretty much suck at poker.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me. This is a fine variation to add to blind defense IMO.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM

His hand range here is gigantic. Tx, another missed PP, a good draw, ace high, random crap. This is a play that I'll make from time to time regardless of what my cards are. When he doesn't bet the river we can be fairly sure he doesn't have a king or a boat. Other than that, not much information in his line.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
villain showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I still don't know what's going on at the 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a totally standard blind-defense line with a hand like AJ? Rather than reraise you preflop he decides to call and check-raise the flop autobet. The turn didn't change who's in front so he bets again hoping you have a worse ace or were peeling with whatever you were stealing with. Finally on the river he decides you'll bet more losing hands than you'll call so he opts to check-call. Seems like a very normal play to me.

Am I totally off base here? I pretty much suck at poker.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck at poker too, but this seems liek a good explanation. I haven't used this type of blind-defens e strategy since I gave up on it way back at the 1/2, but it definitely has merits. I always thought of it as a cop-out, abandoning board texture analysis etc for "i planned to raise so now I'm raising even though he probably hit most of the time it was my plan!"

This is definitely something to factor into decision-making when dealing with TAGs in blind steal situations. Thanks.

Surf
Old 09-15-2005, 04:37 PM

I think I picked up this line many years ago (like, errr, five) from the Abdul Jalib material. Yup, just located it... And I quote:

[ QUOTE ]

ATs Call. On flop play hard except check-call when ace flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted that's ATs not AJ, and he's talking about a full game and defending against a sane mid-position raiser, but this line is definitely out there, so you're going to face it a bit.

Guy.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:41 PM

what about a raise on this turn? if you think you're ahead on the flop, could you not possibly get him to fold a 7, a 10, overs, and extract more from a draw? or is this a spew?