Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Overpair - waiting till turn to raise

Villian is 54.8/25.8/1.2 over 30 hands.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.70 BB.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Overpair - waiting till turn to raise

I think people are going to be biased based on the turn action after your raise.

That being said, I can take it or leave it. This is more an example of slowplaying than the classical "wait for the turn to raise line". I like it a lot better with AA or KK on a less draw heavy board. With JJ your hand is vulnerable and there are going to be a lot of cards that you might be uneasy about raising.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:53 PM

Do people fold to this 3-bet on the turn?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not against this lag.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the read, but if I think that my opponent is in the slightest bit tricky or if I think my opponent thinks I'm in the slightest bit tricky I'm probably calling down.

One thing to note is that often in this kind of situation opponents will check-raise the flop, knowing that you will bet, instead of betting right out. This is one thing that puts enough doubt into my head that villain has a T that I'll often call down.

If villain is EXTREMELY straightforward (always bets out good hands, never check-raises, never bluff-raises or pushes with draws, etc...) I can find a fold here.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not against this lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, against this guy, folding is totally out of the question. Sure, you'll be shown a T often, but you'll be shown random crap often as well. LAGs will increase your variance a whole lot because of situations like this but they'll also increase your bottom line in the long-run.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:59 PM

Really nothing wrong with it. Sometimes I pop right on the flop, sometimes I wait. It has the nice effect of keeping people off balance. Plus it keeps him bluffing or semi-bluffing most of the time HU. Lastly, you get the extra SB for your work. There are downsides, and I wouldn't do it too often, but it's a fine play some of the time.