Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half po

[ QUOTE ]
You'll find that the right scenarios for a continuation bet aren't there as often as many people think...nothing better than betting half the pot and have someone re-raise you when you have a big hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Obviously, you mix up your play. The (roughly)1/2 pot continue just gives you opportunities to set up the same pitch sequence later. It is always good when your bets don't necessarily telegraph your line, much less the strength of your hand.

Also, once they've seen you've "had it", it allows you to exercise pot size control when you don't.

A final point- I don't mind making probe size bets with say, TPGK on a flop with dry texture. I'm sure there's a reason not to do this, but I do think it's part of mixing up your play.

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:06 PM

To argue something as silly that betting 50% of the pot on the flop is better than 65-70% of the flop is really absurd. It's so situation dependant to begin with.

This is completely incorrect.

The bet is an attempt to pick up the pot on the flop when first to act. nothing more.

The point is if your opponent is going to call your 50% bet, hes in all liklihood going to call your 60-75% bet as well.

If you get called, YOU'RE DONE WITH THE HAND. You're check-folding at your first opportunity (unless some miracle happens). So given this is the intent and your planned future action, the 50% bet is BETTER because the probabilities of the desired result change little between the two bet sizes, yet you're risking less with the 50%.

-Scott
Old 09-14-2005, 08:08 PM

However, If I am always pushing and making my opponent's decisions easier for them, then where am I gonna stand in the tournament.

This is the best line written in the forum this week.

-Scott
Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 AM

Okay SoBeDude, since my comment that it's impossible to make a blanket statement as to what is the proper size for a continuation bet is so "completely incorrect", please answer the following question:

Why do you think betting 50% is better than betting 40%. I can't imagine that extra 10% will affect your opponent's decision much, at least if one were to follow your previous logic. And then why not bet 30% instead of 40%. I mean cmon, obviously the amount of your bet has an effect on how your opponent will play.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 AM

Also please note, in case there is a miscommunication, that I wasn't saying that 65-75% is clearly better than 50%, I was saying that it's impossible to just say that 50% is correct without lots more information. I will bet 50% of the pot sometimes, and sometimes I will bet more. However to say that one bet size is clearly correct in continuation bet circumstances, is really ignorant. It's like strenously arguing over whether or not when the blinds are 50-100, one should open raise for 275 or 300, and act like the difference is of supreme importance.

Also when you have a made hand it's often best to bet more than 50% of the pot. For this reason, I often bet 60-75% of the pot regardless of whether I hit or missed and thus no one can know what I have by my bet size.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 AM

That's right Ice....man, I am dangerous.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half pot

I've been reading lots of books and don't take anything as gospel but they give you a starting point. If I'd read HOH a few months ago, it would have gone right over my head. However, these two books have already made a huge difference in my tournament play and results. They paid for themselves in one day.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Re: HOH2 on continuation size bets: don\'t agree they should be half pot

DITTO
Old 09-15-2005, 02:01 PM

Also when you have a made hand it's often best to bet more than 50% of the pot. For this reason, I often bet 60-75% of the pot regardless of whether I hit or missed and thus no one can know what I have by my bet size.

Well if you can't lead the flop SOME TIME with a 50% bet when you have a hand, then you better just stick to making those 60-75% bets with air as well, and just burning those extra chips.

-Scott
Old 09-15-2005, 02:16 PM

The size of your flop bet should be based on the texture of the flop, rather than whether you hit it or not. If you have a non-draw flop, a half-pot bet is good whether or not you hit it --- and these are the easiest to pick up. On a flop with lots of draws then a bet closer to pot size may be necessary to chase away draws --- if the flop is likely to have hit your opponent, particularly if they are frequent check-raisers and it missed you (or if you have a draw), I would check the flop rather than making a continuation bet.

Your bet sizes MUST be consistent between hitting the flop and missing the flop, or you are giving away too much information.