Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 08:46 PM

Default Re: I need to make $100 a week but I have a problem, please read...

First of all, could you be ruder? Second of all, you are wrong. 50 large bets as a total bankroll that you will never replenish is a disaster at any limit. I play 15-30 on Party 7's days a week and do pretty well, but let me tell you...there have been weeks where I have 100 big bet downswings. Just because you haven't suffered these streaks doesn't mean they don't exist. Here you are with 20 posts and you are bucking conventional wisdom of just about every respected poker authority out there. Good luck to you, but I think you need to check the big ego at the door.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 08:52 PM

homer i agree that in the traditional sense, 50 BB isn't a big enough bankroll. However, since we aren't talking a life-changing amount of money for most (100 bucks), I think that taking a risk and playing 1/2 with 100 dollars if your game merits it is not a bad idea. To lose more than 50 BB if you have a positive hourly rate is less likely than being up.

If however we are talking 5/10 or especially 10/20 +, then yes you need 200-300 bb for online play.

If at some point that 100 dollars fluctuated below some stop limit you set (say 40 dollars), then stop playing 1/2.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:04 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Pokerwhore, you are ridicoulous, please stop giving bad advice. To achieve what you say you have either:
- To be a hacker
- To own a certified crystal ball
- To be gak-gak

you probably belong in the third category [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 09:24 PM

Read all the responses. There's good advice from everybody except pokerwhore, who clearly has been smoking a batch of really bad crack.

I prefer Paradise's .50/$1 -- the pot sizes are only marginally lower than the $1/2 games, and the players aren't too sophisticated. But I don't think you have enough (yet) to split between both Paradise and Party.

'hoof
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 PM

I agree that there's nothing wrong with taking a shot as long as you understand there is a decent chance that you'll lose it all. If that's what the poster wants to do, then I have no problem with that. But it sounds like he wants to use this $100 to make $100/week, and that if he loses the money it isn't replenishable.

-- Homer
Old 09-11-2003, 09:33 PM

Not sure I agree with the point on bankroll requirements. Obviously it depends on how well you play, but the $.50/1 game is the one place where, if you're good, you can expect to win far more BB per hour than higher games -- $3-4 per hour or more wouldn't surprise me. That has a pretty big impact on your BR requirements.

Also, what you need to ensure staying in the game is a lot more than what you need if you're prepared to accept a small risk (say 5%) of going broke. Gambling Theory and Other Topics covers that in some depth, so I think Homer's assessment of "risk of ruin will be fairly high" is overly pessimistic.

'hoof
Old 09-11-2003, 09:45 PM

risk of ruin will be fairly high

If someone can make 3-4 BB/hr as opposed to the accepted value of 1 BB/hr, while keeping the same standard deviation, then it's true that they only need half or one-third the bankroll to have the same risk of ruin as with one-third the win rate and three times the bankroll (ROR equation ---> r = exp(-2uB/sigma^2)). However, I don't know that it's possible to earn 3-4 BB/hr, unless you are talking about online. I know it's possible online, but keep in mind that your hourly standard deviation goes up in this case as well since you are playing more hands per hour, so this doesn't necessarily mean that you have a smaller ROR.

-- Homer
Old 09-11-2003, 11:14 PM

Pokerwhore, you're an idiot. Why don't you save us the time and start linking us to your websites before we have to go through the process of getting to know you?

I'm a winning poker player. In my last 5000 (Relatively new to 5/10. Not new to poker) hands of 5/10, I've averaged $29.30 (2.93 BB) an hour, and I'm up $1514. Despite this, I am still capable of losing. If you only look at my past 2.5 weeks of play, you'd see that I'm down $1300 (anyone have a noose I can borrow?). That's 130 big bets. I still know, however, that I'm a winning poker player, and I'm playing better than my opponents. This is just a rather bad swing, that will end if I keep playing well.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
never has to reload

[/ QUOTE ]

Lie.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:38 AM

No lie. He never HAS to reload, he *chooses* to. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]