Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: 3betting with 77

Hi everybody,

I'm a little suprised that everybody is against the preflop three bet. Yes, it is a bit unorthadox, but we're not required to play from a book, and believe it or not, it isn't much of a mistake if at all to do so here.

If a player would always raise all forms of AK and some forms of AQ,AJ,KQ, i.e. non-pair hands, then 77 is a favorite over a probable opening range for a typical player. Being capped of course is a different matter, but that is independent from the initial decision to three bet. 3-betting here becomes attractive if you can play well postflop (as most posters here should be able to) and if the opponent is weak and can be easily controlled and/or will misplay his hands.

While I think folding is fine, I don't think it is terrible to play this pot. I've certainly 3-bet hands like this before and have had good results/feelings about it. If 3-betting is a mistake, it can't be by a lot especially considering your preflop equity against a typical hand range is in your favor (though it may be skewed in the other direction because it beomes harder to play postflop).

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia