Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Psychoanalysis at the Table

First, many thanks to all members of 2+2 who have contributed to my education in poker. I have graduated from bumbling rookie to competent player in a reasonable period of time and I owe much of the progress to my exposure to the ideas put forward by a bunch of bright people. For the record, this beats the hell out of the chess club.

My post has to do with the biggest obstacle to my continued improvement as I move up in limits. The jump from small limit to mid limit poker surprised me. I actually thought the games were related. They're not. After struggling briefly, then realizing I had good survival tools, I started to do OK. Now I'm doing better than OK. Where I falter is with psychology, specifically my own. There are times when I look across the table and see the look on the face of someone who is reading me like a freakin book! I've asked some playing friends for clues to my "tells" but they have little advice. I've worked at eliminating the really obvious ones, yet now and then I seem to be wearing a "raise it...I've got crap" sign around my neck.

Anyone know of any exercises, meditation, medication or style of sunglasses that might help? I want to move up again but not until I ditch this sign.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Psychoanalysis at the Table

There is no gimmick that will foil a good card reader. What card readers depend on are consistant and predictable play. That is why bad players are so hard to read. To be less predictible you must sometimes play cards that your opponents do not expect you to have and play other hands in a way that you would not ordinarly play. Start by showing them that you play the same way that they do then selectively change gears with certain players. Example:

Raise in early position with 76s. If the flop is low cards they will think you missed and call you to the river. If the flop is high cards they will think you made a big hand and fold.

In last position raise on the flop and check on the turn to get a free card when you already have made your hand on the flop. If they think you missed your 'draw' they will call you down.

Raise to get a free card when you really are on a draw.

Bluff and simi-bluff a little more.

Bluff and simi-bluff a little less.

Limp in by calling the big blind with AA or KK.

When the pot odds are high (12-1 implicit)draw for that gut-shot straight. When you make your hand brag about how lucky you are.

Quickly look at your hole cards when nobody is watching and announce to the table that you are playing your hand blind.

Announce to the table that this game has nothing to do with skill. It's all about luck, then ask for a deck change.

Do not live stradle the big blind. Encourage other players to stradle then fire in a raise.

There are many others. You just have to be imaginative and look for the oppotunities. It's all about table image. Even if you are caught pulling these moves it will create a mystique about your play. The best thing is it is a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Correction

I ment to type (12 to 1 implied) odds.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:07 AM

I assumed you were talking more about physical tells than predictable play. I can think of two similar approaches that might help in that area.

The first is having a "pre-play routine", like the routine a golfer might go through before he playes a shot. Always do the same things and do them the same way. Pick up your cards with the same hands. Tuck them under a chip or marker every hand, no matter how weak or strong. Either play with chips or not, but do it every hand. When the action gets to you always prepare to check, call or raise the same way. As you focus on the routine, not only will you lose subtle tells in the way you do things, but nervousness should diminish too, because you are always putting yourself in the same comfortable mind set.

The second is "method acting". Pick some non-poker "scene" from your life that stirs up strong images...that hole-in-one, the first time you picked up a Victorias Secret catalog (or ESPN magazine if your of the female persuasion)...something like that. Then, before you make a play that triggers nervousness...a bluff, or a big hand, put yourself in that place, make your action, and stay in that place until the betting round is over. When Phil Hellmuth is trying to stare you down and sees your heart rate up, he wont know whether its because your bluffing, have a monster, or are remembering that black negligee (and what was in it).

BTW, if you have an involunatary tell and you know what it is, I would think "immunization" would be helpful. Sport psychologists use immunization to help athletes overcome negative reactions to situations they face in competition, ranging from a simple loss of focus to total choking. Immunization encompasses any number of techinques that boil down to repetition. It could be imaging exercises, where you imagine yourself in that situation over and over again so your mind is used to "being there" and doesnt overreact with that rush of adrenaline. It could be playing on Turbo (especially if you can force it to deal you certain hands repetitively) or online (since there is real money involved that may be more effective). Or sit down with your wife or friends and play with them, but have them occasionally slip in a stacked hand that deals you that troublesome straight flush on the flop so you become accustomed to betting with the absolute nuts.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:14 PM

I have found that not trying at all works best for me. My emotions fluctuate quite a bit all on their own, and I use them for disguise. I think many players are so worried about giving off tells that they create them by trying too hard.

As for getting read, don't worry about it, just avoid going against this type of player unless you have a better than average hand. That puts the mistake making in their court. I know a few players I play against regularly who can tell me the last five showdown holdings by everyone at the table. Kind of hard to fool them.

If you go two rounds and not play and then suddenly there you are, a good player will notice. You can't hide the fact you are betting or raising. If you find you get little or no action, find a softer game if possible.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:11 PM

You need to build a routine at the table that makes it difficult for others to read you. Always shuffle chips, or do whatever, in the same manner, whether you're on a pure bluff or holding the pure nuts. You MAY want to wear glasses, which keeps opponents from seeing your eyes. Of course if they keep you from seeing the cards, don't do it, and don't wear red lenses (they make hearts look like diamonds). You have to figure out where and how people are getting reads on you and eliminate those "tells." If you telegraph your intentions, that's MUCH more useful to your opponents, make SURE you're not making it known whether you intend to raise, call, or fold.

al