Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Bad line? hideous line? I ride Donkey?

[ QUOTE ]
Pot the turn. C/c'ing the river is not a terrible option. Call that bet in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot-The-Turn, why? and then what?

So lets see the flop bet gave the two callers 3.6:1 on their calls -- just under a "easy" draw call and perhaps a bit light for a OESD call. Lets pretend one of them has a draw but also knows that Hero tends to Pot-the-turn regularly and when they do it they like to call the river regardless of how obvious the draw is made.

Lets look at the implied odds:
Turn, pot is $4.60, bet $4.60 for a pot of $9.20, he calls $4.60 for $13.80.

River -- check/call?
Pot $13.80, he bets $10 and you call for a pot of $33.80.

You lose: $0.5 + $1 + $4.6 + $10 = $16.10

He put in $1 at 3:1 odds and took $15 when he was way ahead, so more like you gave him 15:1 odds for that first $1 call.

Do you see why this is a losing strategy? NL is about implied odds.

Also, look at this board on the river -- the flush draw came in AND the OESD came in. All he has is Top Two pair vs a flush and straight board; Top Two pair is pretty low on the nuts list here and there are plenty of likely hands that came along for the ride.

Hero knows nothing about Villain, perhaps wait to find out until you decide that the 13th nuts is worth calling a pot river bet with.

I say fold, pay attention to Villain because he is likely a guy you want to avoid marginal confrontations with -- or he will be your meal ticket at this table. But wait until tou actually have information.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 AM

I like the line until the river. You need to call the river bet, but maybe a block on the river is better?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 AM

Yeah I like a decent size blocking bet on the riv.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 AM

Fold, all draws came in, he is not value betting one pair on this board and any two pair besides QJ is unlikely, I don't think your hand is good enough to make a call profitable.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:02 AM

you're prob behind, but if you're new to the table call and note how he played whatever he has. gotta pay this off with absolutely zero reads imho.

can't fold top 2 every time to normal sized river bets whenever there's a 3 flush, if villain shows you anything other than the nut flush note him as a retard and move on.

my $0.02usd

edit: checking that river on that board will also frequently induce a bluff from whatever.. so.. call.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pot the turn. C/c'ing the river is not a terrible option. Call that bet in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why pot the turn ?

[/ QUOTE ]

To get low/medium hearts to fold by representing the ace or king. Betting a smaller amount (or checking) encourages these hands to stick around.

[/ QUOTE ]

A *single* low/medium heart ? Or two low/medium hearrts. I dont expect anybody with a made flush to ever fold in this spot .... do you ?

I dont want some1 with one heart to fold, I want them to call, but to make a mistake by doing so. Betting pot encourages a fold .... but if I bet the pot and only ever get called by set/flush .... then I have not done a good job, as it is me who has made the mistake, and now the pot is bigger, and I have to do ... what? on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I misread the OP, I thought the flop was monotone and the turn brought the 4th heart.