Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Why are people\'s deaths being used politically?

Why is it that the Democrats are currently using the dead and refugees for political advantage. Does that make anyone besides me sick? I don't care which party it is, using things like this, an act of God or Mother Nature or whatever the hell you want to call it, for political gain is embarrassing.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Why are people\'s deaths being used politically?

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that the Democrats are currently using the dead and refugees for political advantage. Does that make anyone besides me sick? I don't care which party it is, using things like this, an act of God or Mother Nature or whatever the hell you want to call it, for political gain is embarrassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you know how some people feel about Bush and 9/11
Old 09-13-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Republicans and 9/11. We're only trying to play the same game or is that wrong?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:31 PM

To a certain extent I agree. However, if one party is in charge and a lack of leadership or a lack of planning or whatever you want to call it, leads to the unnecessary deaths of hundreds of people, shouldn't the other party be allowed to exploit that for political gain? If not, then when is the right time to do so? (I'm being non-partisan here, feel free to apply this reasoning to the state or federal level if you wish)
Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this at all similar?

Either way, there was NO politicizing of 9/11 a week after it happened. As I recall, it took a few weeks, hell, almost a month for people to start blaming Bush for 9/11.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way, there was NO politicizing of 9/11 a week after it happened. As I recall, it took a few weeks, hell, almost a month for people to start blaming Bush for 9/11.

Now, you claim you are trying to play the same game.

YES IT DOES MAKE IT WRONG!

It is NEVER right to do that.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, wondering what went wrong, giving criticism, and calling for an investigation hardly qualify as using people's deaths politically. If Democratic candidates start doing this during their midterm campaigns next year, that's one thing. But don't jump the gun. By the way, do you believe in your heart that the Republicans wouldn't be reacting similarly if Kerry hired someone with miniscule federal disaster experience to run FEMA???
Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a difference -- 9/11 was very unexpected and it really did bring people together. It also took time to figure out what the gov't knew beforehand - like the FBI warning of people taking flight lessons who didn't want to learn how to land, the memo that came across Bush's desk warning about using jets as weapons, etc.

In this case, you could turn on the news and watch people starving and in need of medical help, and the government not taking any action.

I'll admit I'm a Democrat, but I would be equally angry if a Democratic president did the same. And I'm currently unhappy with Lieberman - who was the senator responsible for vetting FEMA's Brown during his confirmation. He obviously didn't confirm anything on the guy's resume.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... how quickly liberals forget that they too were beating the war drums just as loud as conservatives after 9/11.

Do any of you really think something as wide reaching as the Patriot Act could have passed without bi-partasin support?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I'm a Democrat, but I would be equally angry if a Democratic president did the same. And I'm currently unhappy with Lieberman - who was the senator responsible for vetting FEMA's Brown during his confirmation. He obviously didn't confirm anything on the guy's resume.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically, not very many Democrats felt that Clinton made a mistake by promoting his wife, cousins, and European travel buddies to positions they were totally un-qualified for?