Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: OT: A football puzzle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
8-0.

No NFL coach in his right mind would go for the 2 extra points on the first score.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would if his kicker got hurt on the opening kick-off.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why it would be so unusual. You show up and see 8-0. How the heck could it be 8-0 you say to yourself?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
8-0.

No NFL coach in his right mind would go for the 2 extra points on the first score.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would if his kicker got hurt on the opening kick-off.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why it would be so unusual. You show up and see 8-0. How the heck could it be 8-0 you say to yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but a touchdown, missed extra point, (or two field goals) and a single safety would be much less unusual than 2 safeties.

Plus the fact that there is more than 1 way to get 8 points makes it less unusual.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Default 33 pool

Any of you degenerates ever been in a '33' pool?

You get 32 people to all pay a fee ($170 is what I've done, $10 * 17 weeks in a regular NFL season). Then each person draws an NFL team. Because 33 is such an uncommon score for a game to finish on, if your team scores 33 points in a game, you win what is in the pot. If no one wins it carries over to the next week. At the end of the season, the left over money goes into a Super Bowl pool.

It's pretty fun and the payouts can be huge.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Uncle. I think we're ready for the answer.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming pro (NFL) football -- no 2-point conversions -- and ruling out scores that would be strange just by virtue of being unreasonably large (I would find it strange to walk into a stadium and see that the score was 143-133, even if it was quite clear what combination of scores would add up to those numbers).

Safeties are by far the rarest scoring play, so anything that requires that both teams had at least one would be quite strange. 4-4 would require that both teams had exactly two, and I think would probably be the strangest possible, as a large number of field goals still isn't as rare as a single safety.

11-11 would probably be my second choice. (Several ways for this to happen, but all of them require something at least moderately strange.)

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to the 20th century. Theyve had 2 point conversions in the NFL for a decade now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the 21st Century. We've been in it for half a decade now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

>>>ZIPPPY
Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 PM

11-2
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any score that has the Broncos leading.

Cause with Plummer as our QB, how could we possibly ever have a lead? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 bad game and you're writing them off?!!?! And you call yourself a Broncos fan? You must not remember the 80s too well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I love the Broncos. But sometimes you just gotta know that it's not gonna happen. For example, I've been a Nuggets fan all my life. Love em, watch every game every year since I was like 12. But they only stopped totally sucking when Melo got drafted.

Plummer has proven that he sucks. That has been true throughout his career, and hasn't changed since he came to Denver.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Broncos [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

better than Elway's successor...I dare not mention that greezy ass's name.

anyway...we Broncos fans (me, hardcore since I was 4 -im a nyer, dont ask) were spoiled in that we grew up with the best QB, and in my opinion, all around athlete, to ever grace a gridiron. It'll never be the same. Plummer will suffice though...be patient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm another Broncos fan, Plummer just makes alot of dumb mistakes that a 9 year veteran should not make. Remember the left handed throw last year? Sure we were definately spoiled by having Elway in as QB for so many years, but I wonder how long we will put up with a QB who has thrown 20 more interceptions than TD's over his career.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:12 PM

In college, if the team blocks the extra point and runs it back for a touchdown the defense gets a point, so the score would be 6-2, but i think they changed it. It was that way and may well still be.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:13 PM

So 10-1 would be crazy.

Lori
Old 09-13-2005, 04:18 PM

wtf, 4-4? Let me tell you something, if I walked into a football stadium and I saw two sets of scores, 99-99 or 4-4, I would immediately think 4-4 was the correct score.