Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: donnie darko

hey nice response.

i'm all about discussion when it comes to differences in views on something. i guess i was just sick of seeing a general trend in regard to the "this sucks that sucks" type responses. but i appreciate you taking the time to come back with what you felt was weak about the film.

there's a line that borges wrote in the beginning of one of his fiction collections (and if you want to read an opinion backed up by ridiculous statements, check out some stupid person's review of the penguin collection of his short stories @ amazon.com); he writes that a work of fiction is only halfway finished by the author, that the other half is the work of the reader, which brings up implications of another argument/line of thought entirely, but im sure the point is there. the allowance of multiple creations, so to speak, (wherein artist + work + viewers/reader/what have you) are what make discussions of such things so interesting. (im paraphrasing the quote btw)

i'll admit, my first response to the OPs question "what do you think of donny darko" was pretty lame, and the brief critique offered seemed originally to me like a cop out. anyone can say something sucks or something is good, but saying why behind it would make a thread like this so much better.

the only problem is people tend to take to heart disagreements in matters of opinion concerning something that allows for multiple views/opinions.

i guess not everyone is interested in why someone may think something is good or bad, but mainly concerned merely with the end result: consensus or disagreement.

thanks for the response btw, i'll definately read your thoughts on the film.

i dont think its one of the greatest ever made, but i did think it came together pretty well visually, there were some stunning shots to me at least, and as for the script and ideas, hey, i thought it was an interesting take on the age old "is time linear? yes? no?" sci-fi tip.

i would have replaced drew barrymore because she, surprise, plays her role not entirely different from her other characters.

but again thanks for taking the time out to write your thoughts though, i appreciate it at least.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:48 PM

one thing i would ad is that i dont think the director's commentary nor the written out book on time travel was necessary to figure out what was going on, although it certainly isnt self evident immediately, and perhaps not after 1 viewing.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its got a cool looking visual of a freaky-looking rabbit but absolutely no depth, creativity, or replay value, plus a grade-z science fiction explanation of what would otherwise be a completely retarded non-ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

best fyp ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its got a cool looking visual of a freaky-looking rabbit but absolutely no depth, creativity, or replay value, plus a grade-z science fiction explanation of what would otherwise be a completely retarded non-ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

second best fyp ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

best fyp ever
Old 09-13-2005, 03:10 AM

donnie darko owns because there is some room for interpretation. some say donnie darko was a super hero because he saved the world! others say he is a modern day romeo or some [censored] because he sacrificed himself for the girl he loved.

for me it was fun watching it 2 or 3 times over to gain a better understanding of the movie. so what if most do not understand a movie during it's first viewing...take a look at fight club, or even the usual suspects. for some reason, some do not pick up on it right away, but once they do, MAN HOW COOL IS THAT?!??! same kinda deal with donnie darko.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 AM

There is a lot of raw emotion and humor and mystery and tragedy in DD that I like. I agree the philosophy of time travel stuff is pretty stupid, but I don't think it takes too much away from the movie.

And I don't think the fact that he basically must sacrifice himself diminishes the power of the ending.