Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: High blinds, M=2 under the gun... WWYD?

[ QUOTE ]
I think I didn't need to read your post, the title says it all.

M=2, UTG, and your cards don't matter.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

When the cards don't matter the position still does. If the table is as tight as you say there must have been chances for you to open push from CO+2 or better with any 2.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

When the cards don't matter the position still does. If the table is as tight as you say there must have been chances for you to open push from CO+2 or better with any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread the section in HOH2 that covers this.

And he's UTG. he's about to have to pay the blinds. So if he tries to wait, his M will be 1, which is really too late to be waiting.

-Scott
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Note: Blinds 600-1200 & 200 antes

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, blinds were 600-1200 at that point with 200 antes, sorry if that was unclear and thanks for the summary, I'm sure I gave more info than necessary.

As I said in title, my M was 2. When I sat down it was just over 4. How much longer can I wait?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how I was just rereading this section of HOH2 this afternoon. Remember his discussion of "First Hand Vigorish"? IMO, waiting is a mistake. Ya gotta poosh here I think.

-Scott
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure where this M of 2 comes from. 500/1000/100, T8K stack. M is 3.2.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, you're saying you would have pushed the 63s, given middle position

[/ QUOTE ]

I like pushing with 63s from middle position much better than Q9s UTG.

63s and Q9s are practically the same hand. They play the same against AK. 63s is less likely to be dominated.

You should probably have pushed with some kind of hand from middle to late position before you got UTG. Position is more important than your hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:51 AM

There's a chance you're right, but other than the 36 suited, which I think was either CO+3 or CO+4, I don't think there was a hand where everyone folded around to me in that late a position, as I started specifically looking for such a situation (possibly including an early-middle pos. limper) within 20+ mins of final table. But I feel more and more like pushing with the 36 or the pocket 5's may have been best, if only marginally so.

Also, though position clearly matters, as Harrington points out in HoH2, when M's are really low position is sort of negated as the advantages of late position are counterbalanced by how many hands you have until the blinds, and of course if called an all-in negates positional issues afterwards.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Default read my note

just to reiterate betgo, since I understand you're missing my note after schwza's summary of the hand, he misstated the blinds, they were actually 600/1200 w/ 200 antes by this hand, it's my fault for going into too much detail about crap situation leading up to it.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Note: Blinds 600-1200 & 200 antes

[ QUOTE ]
oops... i'd still fold. i'd prefer an open-push with any 2 in LP, or hope you get something in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this advice a lot on 2+2. Everyone always prefers an open-push in LP. Heck, I do too. Someone needs to write a book on how to induce the other players to fold to you in LP, though.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:07 AM

Pushing all-in is good for a lot of reasons with Q9

#1.) You have a marginal hand, but unlikely to be dominated by a hand that will call you. (ie. If you had A5 then a person with AK or AQ would have you dominated, but other than AQ, KQ, 99, QQ, AA, KK, you'll have a shot.. and since you already have a Q and a 9 some of these holdings are very unlikely)

#2.) It's a tight table close to the money and everyone's been playing tight.. if people don't realize your M, your UTG all-in looks like a big hand (again, not sure about the caliber of players, but it depends)

#3.) As alluded to in HOH2, the cards don't really matter, first-in vigorish is more important.. now someone needs a real hand to call you.. if you were in same situation from LP and there was raise and a call infront of you, then Q9 is a throw-away.. but now it's definitely playable and allows you to win the pot by either folding or showdown

4.) Unless ran into by a dominated hand, you're not that big of a dog.. barring the AA,KK, AQ, 99, QQ disaster, you'd only be about 65-35 against AK and about even if someone wanted to take a shot with a low-mid pair
Old 09-12-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread the section in HOH2 that covers this.

And he's UTG. he's about to have to pay the blinds. So if he tries to wait, his M will be 1, which is really too late to be waiting.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

hero has 8k. 8k / 3.8k = 2.1M. after blinds, he has 5.8k, and M = 1.53 and nearly 5 blinds. hero is not THAT desperate.