Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 AM

Default 20/40 Mirage, baby Ace

Saturday noon, an OK game at the Mirage. Well it WAS ok, but the weak players left and were replaced by a short asian lady who was definitely a regular and a young fellow with a cap + sunglasses. Additionally there was another regular, older gentleman, thin, bodog.net hat who imo was probably the best at the table. He was really aggressive, the only flaw I spotted in my short time playing with him was that he might have cold called too much. He was actually not involved in this particular hand, but I am curious if anyone knows who he is. He wore a golden bracelet on one arm and a golden chain with a pendant and was usually tuned into his iPod.

Anyway, on to the hand.

I limped in EP w.A4s after 1 limper (ABC player, too much preflop limping, solid postflop) raised by the young guy in sunglasses (YG) and folded around to limper. 3 to the flop.

FLOP: 93A 2 clubs.

Limper checks, I check, YG bets, limper folds, I call.

Turn: J of clubs. (i have no clubs)

I bet, YG plays with chips and calls. I did not want to call down in case I was outkicked and felt he would be aggressive enough to raise if his Ace was good. When he called I felt good about the hand.

River: J.

Final Board: 93AJJ

I bet, he raises and I very quickly fold.

That would be the only hand from my Vegas trip that for some strange reason did not sit well w.me and I was looking forward to posting it.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Mirage, baby Ace

[ QUOTE ]
I limped in EP w.A4s after 1 limper (ABC player, too much preflop limping, solid postflop)

[/ QUOTE ]

And this isnt too much preflop limping?

I like gaybetting the turn. I dont like betting the river. Just check and call as u can beat bluffs. I don't see any hand u can beat calling on the river if you bet.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:09 PM

how about the same cards that he called the turn with?

kk/qq perhaps?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:16 PM

If he's got even an ounce of aggressiveness, he's autobetting the flop, so your calling him gives you no information, and makes it difficult for you to play the rest of the hand. I would have c/red him on the flop. If he doesn't immediately fold, you've significantly narrowed his holdings.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:29 PM

ok, c/r flop and then lead the turn if he calls, folding to a raise?
Old 09-11-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, c/r flop and then lead the turn if he calls, folding to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Because you have shown strength on the flop, even though that somewhat defines your hand, it also makes it easier to define his response. If he raises the turn, Ax is way more likely to be his holding than KK/QQ, and the only A you can beat is A2. So if you get raised, you can be 90% sure you did not fold the best hand (of course this is player dependant, I am just speaking on average). If he just calls the turn, I would probably check and call the river.

Edit: I should specify that if he's the type that would raise preflop with any A, *and* the turn comes high as it did, it increases the possibility you may get a split, and I might proceed differently.