Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 12:43 PM

Default 3 boats sunk - Where did I go wrong?

Typical loose passive $2 to $5 spread limit game. Full table that was brand new so no one had any real reads on anyone else.

1st hand - I'm the blind with Pocket 7's. No raises pre-flop and there are 6 of us for the flop.

Flop comes 10 7 10.
I check and EP bets out. 1 caller to LP who raises, I 3 bet and the 3 remaining players call.

Turn is a Q.
I bet out with 3 callers.

River is a J.
I bet out, EP mucks, MP raises, LP mucks, I 3 bet and MP calls.

My flopped boat sunk to the MP's rivered J's full!

2nd hand - Once again I'm in the blinds with Pocket 6's. 7 people take the flop.

Flop comes K 3 6 rainbow.
I check, EP bets, 3 callers and I raise. EP calls and 2 others call.

Turn is a K.
I bet out, EP raises, 1 caller, I 3 bet and both call.

River is a 5.
I bet out EP raises, fold, I 3 bet and EP raises again. I called.

My boat was sunk again by EP's K5o Turn and river boat.

3rd hand - I'm in LP with J10h. I'm the 6th person in the pot and now have the button.

Flop comes J 10 10.
Blind bets out, Fold, Fold, raise, fold, I 3 bet and 2 callers.

Turn is a Q. (which I thought was a perfect card for me.)
Checked to me, I bet, Blind C/R's, MP calls, I 3 bet and both call.

River is a Q. Blind bets out, MP raises, Myself and the blind call.

MP's KQo makes a better boat then mine and once again my battleship is sunk.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I should maybe play this differently? I dropped a ton of bucks on these 3 hands, thankfully I made a table change and got it all back plus some more but this is stuck in my head and I can't stand it any longer. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: 3 boats sunk - Where did I go wrong?

While I think you simply got tremendously unlucky, and you were bound to lose a lot of money, I think you may have over-played your cards in hands 1 and 2.

You had the proverbial bottom of the boats. Maybe I'm thinking too passively on this one, but I would have saved a couple of bets by not 3-betting the river in each. But really can't fault you too much for being aggressive.

Ultimately, just bad luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:07 PM

1st hand - Oof. With that board, I'd 3-bet the river to, because I'd be thinking the river raiser made a straight then a boat. I don't think the other guy played this hand very well, btw. You did fine.

2nd hand - It's obvious he has a K when he raises the turn. It's a good 3-bet because the odds that he has the case 6 or a 3 are small so you're ahead. I think on the river when you get capped, you have to call but at the same time expect to lose. It's *possible* that he's confident his trips are good because of the river "blank" but it's more likely that the turn 3-bet that made him pause no longer concerns him. That said, he had the case K, three 3s, and three 5s to beat you. you're over a 5.5:1 favorite here.

3rd hand - I might lay this down on the river to two cold because now any Q beats you and the raise came from a player who'd done nothing but call until then. I think you're looking at 19:2 when it's 2 to you on the river, so you need to win ~12% of the time to make it a good call.

All that said, I would take all these hands and run them through twodimes, starting with the flop and then running the turn as well. I know that when I think I've taken a bad beat it helps to A) confirm I was the favorite and B) to see it in hard numbers. Then I can say "Crap happens" and move on.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:58 PM

Stuff happens, you might have been a little more conservative on the river, but really, there wasn't much you could do, except get better river cards.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:35 PM

I read somewhere that if you lose with a boat and it doesn't cost you a lot of money, you aren't playing your cards right.

Sometimes you are the pigeon, sometimes you are the statue. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2003, 07:00 PM

The only mistake I really see, is 3-betting on the river in the 2nd hand. He called your 3-bet on the turn, because he correctly guessed his 3 kings weren't good, then he raises on the river when he improved, if he hadn't improved he would have just called.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:08 PM

There's nothing you could've done in any of the hands that would've won you the pot; these are just tough breaks. As you said, you lose a lot of money on hands like these, but chin up Charlie, you'll win more on flopped boats than you'll lose. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand on to analysis..

Hand 1: I would've 3-bet the river as well, as there's a good chance MP has 98 for the rivered straight. His actions on previous streets sure don't indicate he has a boat, so I'd 3-bet as well. Just be thankful he didn't cap like he should've.

Hand 2: I definitely would not have 3-bet this on the river unless my opponent was very overaggressive. You're likely beaten here, as he didn't cap on the turn (indicating trip Kings afraid of a boat or being outkicked), and then raised you on the river (indicating he hit his kicker and now has Kings full). Other than that, I think you did fine.

Hand 3: I think you played fine until the river. I don't think you should be calling two cold with the ignorant end of a full house in this situation. Granted, it may have been a frustration call over having flopped a monster only to be killed by a runner-runner, but you still shouldn't be making that call. It looks like you were a little tilted at the end of the hand, and I'm guessing you didn't play optimally for a while after that. Muck it on the river for two bets, call for one. Since you called two cold, go take a break and sit out of the game for a while to get yourself back together.