Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Variance

Oh come on, this has nothing to do with variance. Why do you instantly assume that any poster here is a winning player? Here is a guy switching from NL to L. Of course he is a losing player at L right now. Now he can become a winning player, but he is currently a pretty massive loser with major holes in his game.

No offense to the OP, when I first started 15/30 I was a massive loser as well. Except this and work on it. This isn't variance.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh come on, this has nothing to do with variance. Why do you instantly assume that any poster here is a winning player? Here is a guy switching from NL to L. Of course he is a losing player at L right now. Now he can become a winning player, but he is currently a pretty massive loser with major holes in his game.

No offense to the OP, when I first started 15/30 I was a massive loser as well. Except this and work on it. This isn't variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like I said keep your chin up and it'll turn around. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My advice is to move to 3/6.

Krishan
Old 09-10-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It means "you should seriously consider killing yourself." You need to hang out in small stakes more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP
Old 09-10-2005, 11:19 PM

lol, I'm sure i've got massive holes in my game and i'm certainly not a winning player yet and I will read more small stakes. The variance part was the -10 BB per 100 not that I wasn't a loser. It seemed utterly rediculous and it made me question how the game could continue to exist when relatively new blood was hemorraging cash that badly.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, I'm sure i've got massive holes in my game and i'm certainly not a winning player yet and I will read more small stakes. The variance part was the -10 BB per 100 not that I wasn't a loser. It seemed utterly rediculous and it made me question how the game could continue to exist when relatively new blood was hemorraging cash that badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, two things happen when you get burned. First, you learn to respect fire. Second, you become enthralled by it.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:37 PM

There no question that I am now interested in how to beat the game its been awhile since I got drubbed playing any type of poker but at the same time the amount of people who can burn 4000+ dollars on learning how to play a card game has to be severely limited. I have a solid bankroll due to my NL success but to a normal person the financial loss could be crushing which was my understanding of why limit existed is b/c the worst player could still log winning sessions compared to NL where the fish died out quickly.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 PM

There's a LOT of new blood. Read SSHE about 6times. Start small. You will be outplayed even by opps who dont seem that good at the 10/20 level if you havent spent a fair amount of time working on your limit skillz.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:39 PM

Default HUSH

If you are going to hit up shorthanded tables hit the heads up and shorthanded section here. A lot of good players who are winning 1-3bb/100 range at 10-20 are (or have past through) posting there. Sh requires the honing of a lot of specific skills that you won't get the emphasis on with just Mid-high and SS forums.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:44 PM

It is interesting, MTBlue, but remember that most players aren't coming from NL, they come from lower limits. NL players spew chips faster by trying to maintain the same aggression factor. A lot of players are coming up from the lower limits where they ARE winning players. Others are coming off a big tourney win and looking to play above their heads. Still others are doctors and lawyers looking to gamble with stakes that are meaningful to them. And even more others are simply losers looking to regain what they have lost quickly and so they go deeper into their financial reserves, by it a trust fund, inheritance, or (unlikely) savings.