Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Common Situation - which line do you prefer?

Why are you check-raising? Aren't we looking to maximize the number of bets in the pot?

You have a monster hand, the pot is semi-small, there are no real draws out there, build the pot.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you check-raising? Aren't we looking to maximize the number of bets in the pot?

You have a monster hand, the pot is semi-small, there are no real draws out there, build the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I misread the preflop action.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Ditto on the plan of MyTurn2Raise, above.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:09 PM

The thing is, we're not going to extract much value from PFR's missed overs no matter what we do, and unknown EP may well fold anyway if we bet out. So I'm tentatively attracted to the check-raise option b/c it communicates to PFR that we're protecting top pair or 88/99, and holds out the possibility that he'll three-bet an overpair (and then call a cap) when we check-raise the turn. Conversely, betting out on the flop suggests a value-bet by a strong hand (w/ 2 pair a possibility, in PFR's eyes, since we're in the BB), making him less likely to cap the turn with an overpair when we three-bet his turn raise. This is especially true since we're evidently not betting a draw on the flop.

Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Here is what I'd do.

1.I'd lead the flop if early position calls and the guy in the back raises. I call and then lead the turn.

2. I'd lead the flop if first position raises and the 2nd guy colds then I reraise.

3. I'd lead the flop if the first position raises and the 2nd position reraises I'd call 50% of the time and reraise the other 50% of the time, when I call I'm leading the turn.

3a. I'd lead the flop if the first position raises and the 2nd position reraises if I do call and the first position raises again, then I'd call and checkraise the turn.

4. I'd lead the flop if they both call, then I lead the turn, but if an Ace fell I would hesitate my bet on the turn just a slight 14th of a second to make them think I fear the ace allowing me to get in 3 bets instead of 2 with a checkraise.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:40 PM

Having called preflop, if you go crazy, re-raising on this raggedy flop, you give a thinking player a pretty good clue as to what kind of hand you might have, and can lose your market. It's not a bad spot for a little slow-play.

I like to salt the pot with a bet on the flop and basically Stop 'N Go, betting out on the turn, and then 3-betting if I am raised. This also lends an aura of confusion about what you might have, especially if a Broadway card comes on the turn, and may set you up for betting the river.

Just my $.02 worth...
bc
Old 09-10-2005, 07:05 PM

even though this is well thought out, the only thinking player that will lay this hand down is if the thinking player has so much info on the player involved.

I don't see anyone folding JJ, QQ, KK, AA.

Thats what makes the game so much fun and enjoyable.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:13 PM

bet, call

bet, 3-bet
Old 09-10-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet, call

bet, 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I'll usually play it. Depending on the turn card, the PFR may still have an overpair to the board and will likely raise the turn, allowing you to 3-bet (esp if EP has dropped out). If EP is still around, he gets trapped for the max with his QTs or whatever crap he's holding.

Tom