Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: anyone else pissed off at that rapper for saying bush doesnt care.

Condie Rice and Colon Powell are about as familiar with the struggle of poor blacks as Paris Hilton. Besides, if you were Republican and you had a reputation for giving a rat's patoot about minorities wouldn't you scatter a few around the cabinet to deflect criticism? Don't beat up Bush too much though, he doesn't know any better. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain; Rove.

Kanye for President
Old 09-09-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was very happy I got the opportunity to hear Kanye West's political opinions on TV. He's obviously qualified to talk on the matter, isn't he? America must hear his voice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kanye is well known as one of the most political rappers out there. (Dead Prez and Immortal Technique are two other strong examples). He's an outspoken advocate for issues facing the Black community.

By blowing off his opinion, you're pretty much blowing off the concerns and complaints of the Black community at large. Just because he's a celeb doesn't mean he's an uninformed moron.

Of course, a solid 1 minute of googling could have given you the same information, so I assume making informed commentary isn't worth your time.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:47 PM

lol.

Kanye isn't a political rapper at all. He has a few songs where he likes to pretend, but comparing him to IT or Dead Prez is nonsense.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:11 PM

It's my wigger roommate's fault. He told me Kanye was way political so had to believe him since he is into the mainstream rap scene. Whereas, I actually know IT and Dead Prez are because I listen to them. Will have to ask him more about it, maybe he had some reason for saying that other than a few songs.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He's an outspoken advocate for issues facing the Black community.

By blowing off his opinion, you're pretty much blowing off the concerns and complaints of the Black community at large.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the race card I was looking for! To make this a truly worthwhile debate, all you have to do now is to make a Hitler reference, and perhaps a veiled George Orwell crack wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously, Kanye being black has nothing to do with me not listening to him. There are certainly black leaders I would listen to if they made this statement. Even shock artists like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have MUCH more credibility than Kanye West in my book, because they at least have made a career out of political activism.

West, on the other hand, got famous by performing raps such as "Now all the girls pass the weed to your motherfucking man / And if you're losing your high, then smoke again", and then tries his hand at activism when the cameras are rolling.

By the way, when you give me faulty information (from your wigger roommate?), and then tell me I should have googled it in an insulting tone, it makes you look foolish.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:31 PM

So you listen to IT and DP but Kanye is to mainstream for you?

Kanye is better than both of those guys by a long shot, and this is coming from a guy who has been listening to Atmosphere's new album for 3 days straight.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:46 PM

if you were more culturally diverse in your musical tastes you'd realize that people already are making veiled references to george orwell
Old 09-09-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was very happy I got the opportunity to hear Kanye West's political opinions on TV. He's obviously qualified to talk on the matter, isn't he? America must hear his voice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kanye is well known as one of the most political rappers out there. (Dead Prez and Immortal Technique are two other strong examples). He's an outspoken advocate for issues facing the Black community.

By blowing off his opinion, you're pretty much blowing off the concerns and complaints of the Black community at large. Just because he's a celeb doesn't mean he's an uninformed moron.

Of course, a solid 1 minute of googling could have given you the same information, so I assume making informed commentary isn't worth your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a little research into Kanye's life and tell me what part of the struggle he went through...

Was it his professor mother? His minister father? The multiple degrees he could have earned had he not dropped out of college? The work Jay-Z gave him as a producer, then as a rapper that no other label would take?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do a little research into Kanye's life and tell me what part of the struggle he went through...

Was it his professor mother? His minister father? The multiple degrees he could have earned had he not dropped out of college? The work Jay-Z gave him as a producer, then as a rapper that no other label would take?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that I at no point mentioned a personal struggle in this part would make your argument a straw man argument, wouldn't it?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you listen to IT and DP but Kanye is to mainstream for you?

Kanye is better than both of those guys by a long shot, and this is coming from a guy who has been listening to Atmosphere's new album for 3 days straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really all depends on what you're looking for now, doesn't it?
As for mainstream, when's the last time IT or Dead Prez appeared on an NBC-produced, nationally-televised special?
I think you can argue that Dead Prez is fairly mainstream given greater media coverage and a Sony album but IT, cmon.

Honestly, it's not all that important to me who's what. If you say Kanye is better, I'll give him a try. Was just trying to explain I'm not that plugged in to hip hop and rap that gets the most exposure that my roommate is. Tried to describe the difference further and erred using Dead Prez as an example...