Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: NL Postseason Awards

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this so hard to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take Pujols from the Cards and replace him from within and take Lee from the Cubs and replace him from within. Which team is more negatively impacted? Cards perhaps don't win division and Cubs are still in fifth. Why is this so hard to understand?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:59 PM

But that doesn't tell who is the better player, just who has the better teamates. Lee has been at least as good as Pujols, it's not his fault the Cubs are in 5th, it isn't a lack of 'clutch' or anything else, it's just that his teammates haven't performed.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But that doesn't tell who is the better player

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't Most Better Player award. It's the Most VALUABLE Player award. A lot of valuable things never show up in statistics. Lee had a great year on a crappy team. Too bad for him but he didn't really make a difference. Pujols carried an injury ridden lineup to the best record in the league. From a VALUE standpoint it isn't even close.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Making W/L your main tool for evaluating a pitcher is retarded. WHIP and ERA say so much more. In the end even K's matter way less than those. CG and Sho are also valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

W/L isn't my main tool. But when you have DOUBLE the wins, that's significant. When your team has a losing record in games you start, that matters. When you pitch over 1IP less/start, that matters. Plus, read the bullpen support that someone posted earlier. I'm not only looking at one stat, but the supporters of Clemens are (and those people better be willing to yank Clemens' last two Cy Young awards then because by their own criteria he shouldn't have won either of them.).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Carpenter for CY booster and I am not a Clemens fan at all. I don't think that Clemens should have won his CY with the Yankees or the one last year. He should have 5 Cy Youngs right now and Randy should have 6.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jones is hitting .270 and falling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoting batting average instead of OBP is stupid.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Quoting batting average instead of OBP is stupid.

For the record, I agree. So lets go to the tale of the tape.

Pujols OBP - .433
Jones OBP - .354

Pujols SLG - .635
Jones SLG - .588

For the hell of it

Pujols SB - 14/16
Jones SB - 3/6

Andruw plays a difficult defensive position very well, but he would have to be Superman in CF to come close to having Pujol's value.

I cannot understand how anyone could think Pujols and Jones are even remotely equal in value.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:02 PM

Yeah, Pujols has more VALUE. He has magical pixie dust that enables his teamates to perform at a higher level than Lee's teamates.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:14 PM

I never said that they were. I was just saying that when Clarkmeister quotes BAVG, he betrays his ignorance.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:36 PM

bah, im a hypocrite.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said that they were. I was just saying that when Clarkmeister quotes BAVG, he betrays his ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot, Kettle.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that Clemens should have won his CY with the Yankees or the one last year. He should have 5 Cy Youngs right now and Randy should have 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to forget about 1990 and 1992. Roger has clearly deserved 7 CYAs and has received 7 CYAs. They just haven't necessarily arrived in the exact seasons he deserved them.

Anyways, I agree Randy should have won last year, but if it's so clear Roger shouldn't have won in 2001, who should have? People like to say he shouldn't have won, but there's absolutely no consensus about who else should have won. As far as I can tell, him, Mulder, Garcia and Mussina were all pretty similar, and Roger just happened to come away with the hardware.

Oh, and Clark really needs to just stick to poker. Wow.