Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2003, 05:03 PM

Default NL Tourney- 2 hands

Hi all,

10+1 NLHE Tourney on UB. 400 players started approx 320 left, blinds are 10/20. I have about T860 (Haven't figured out how to export hand histories from UB so this is from memory). I'm dealt Q6o in the BB and get a free look at the flop with 4 limpers. Flop comes Q35 rainbow. I bet the pot (100 chips) and get 1 caller in ep (approx T1700). Turn brings a K and now there is 2 of a suit up. I bet 75 and ep makes pot sized raise. It's early in the tourney and all I know about ep is that he has played loose and aggressive but built a pretty good lead in chips at our table. I fold and am wondering, how weak was my 75 chip bet? Would it have been better to check/fold here or show more aggression by ignoring the K and making another pot sized bet?
Another hand against same aggressor. 80 or so players left top 50 pay and i'm in 10th place. Blinds are 200/400. He is in ep with approx. T10000, and I am in co with approx. T6000. Aggressor in ep makes min raise and it's folded to me. I have KK and make pot-sized reraise. Button and blinds fold and ep reraises another T1,500. DAMN! My choices are All in, call, or fold. I call thinking if I don't see an ace i'll go ahead and push all in. Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ARGH! Even worse than seeing an Ace. If he doesn't have AA he sure as hell might have a flush now. He pushes all in and I fold. I drop from 10th place to 73rd and have to fight and scrap all the way to 34th. Does anybody call the all in? What about the call on the flop (I suspect it's weak)? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: NL Tourney- 2 hands

In the first hand, Q6 is not a strong enough hand to make a stand with. I think your bet and fold are OK in this situation. Save the real punishment for when you get a monster.

On the 2nd hand, I would have reraised all-in PF. You're only a dog to AA. All other hands, including AK, you dominate significantly. And, according to your description of this guy, I think you could put him on a lot more hands than just AA. After the flop, with no Ace on the board, I think the odds that he has a better hand than you are slim to none here. He knows the flop worries you & he was the final aggressor pre-flop, and he doesn't want to project weakness. This is a clear all-in for him, and a clear call for you.

I'd rather go out swinging against this guy with a monster hand than have to claw and scratch to a minimum money spot after mucking this one and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Then again, I just busted on the bubble when AA reraised my QQ all in PF, so, I may not be the best person to listen to.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:03 AM

thanks for the response. This is a call for me 9 out of 10 times, but I had busted on the bubble about 5 tourney's in a row prior to this. Part of the fold was just to try to finish in the money and get some confidence back. I figured I was playing well enough to take the hit, but looking back I agree, I would rather go down w/ KK than fight and scratch for min payment.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:37 PM

I don't think your first play was bad. Sometimes i'll make a lame bet like you did for two reasons... if the 2nd guy has nothing he may decide to muck his cards right there. If he has something decent or even a draw and I didn't bet he will feel that he needs to bet and will bet more than I'm willing to go to so this way I get to see the next card for a minimal amount.

I really didn't like your play at all in the 2nd hand. It was a clear all-in on the pre-flop and on the flop. He could have easily been trying to get you out right there with things other than a flush draw and even if he had 1 of the suit and only needed one more it's still tough to risk his major chip position for the draw.

How many of you given his his high chip situation would call the all-in on a flush draw for a 35% chance of winning? I guess it could be higher if he had a high pair already or other draws. I only like to go all-in after seeing a flop if I already have a likely chance of being in the lead -- assuming I'm comfortable at that point with my chip position. If I'm short-stacked I'll take more chances. Of course, it's better to going all-in yourself versus calling an all-in.