Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 01:13 PM

Default High blinds, M=2 under the gun... WWYD?

OK, I just played a $100 5 table tournament last night (about 42 or 43 players) and am trying to decide if I played it right at the end. Criticism and opinions appreciated.

My first gripe is that they merged to the final table when we were down to 11. I think that was crazy, I think 8 or 9 is pretty standard, though I wouldn't have criticized 10 necessarily. I'm slightly above average chip stack at this point with about 14K (started with 2500), and the blinds were I think 400-800 with 100 antes, and probably no one has more than 22 or 25K because I only see 1 or 2 stacks clearly smaller than me.

We played for an hour 11 handed and hardly saw a flop, literally 1 or 2 at most and I don't think a turn. Everyone's playing really tight. The best two hands I had, both before I was feeling desperate, were A7o, but in early position and about 3 hands after merge, so I folded it, and pocket 5's, also early position, which I'm wondering if I shouldn't have pushed with now. Besides those two hands, I think my best was a K2o. I seriously thought about pushing all in with 63s in middle position when everyone folded to me, as I'd decided it was so tight and pot before callers was so big stealing was my best shot (blinds were up to 5h and 1k, still 100 antes, though before long they went to 6-12 and 200 antes).

About an hour in we lost our 11th player, and I was approaching the blinds, and wanted to move before the blinds cost me 2200 of my remaining ~8K. I got Q9 under the gun, and god help me it looked good. I've never pushed with something so weak though in such bad position... Guy who called took forever to do so, but he had AK so I almost think he could have been acting to entice someone behind him to come in too, but AK is still a drawing hand so I don't think so. What would you have done? Pushed with the 5's probably, but that aside push with Q9 or ride out the blinds and hope? top 5 places paid. I dunno, I hate when cards totally abandon you like that, I only had one premium hand the whole night, but I'd made do with a lot of marginal to good hands until the final table. Sorry to be so longwinded, thanks for any input.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: High blinds, M=2 under the gun... WWYD?

I had a similar scenario w/ q9 suited UTG and decided to fold only to get some piss poor hand that I had to push with shortly after. I'd push, it's strong enough for the scenario.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously thought about pushing all in with 63s in middle position when everyone folded to me, as I'd decided it was so tight and pot before callers was so big stealing was my best shot (blinds were up to 5h and 1k, still 100 antes, though before long they went to 6-12 and 200 antes).

[/ QUOTE ]

If the table was as tight as you say, I would have pushed this.

[ QUOTE ]
Pushed with the 5's probably, but that aside push with Q9 or ride out the blinds and hope?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you are 10 handed, with the whole table behind you to act someone is too likely to find a hand they can call with. The blinds will hurt you but not totally cripple you, I would have waited one more orbit before making a total desperation move like this.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is you are 10 handed, with the whole table behind you to act someone is too likely to find a hand they can call with. The blinds will hurt you but not totally cripple you, I would have waited one more orbit before making a total desperation move like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can double up to... an M of 2?

Doesn't make sense. Push now and take what you can get. If you wait another orbit you'll just end up in the exact same position.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Just to be clear, you're saying you would have pushed the 63s, given middle position no callers (by middle I mean probably CO+3/4, so I guess 5 or 6 left to act behind me, maybe even 7 I guess but I doubt), but would have waited with both the 5's (which were probably UTG+2, so like 8 people left to act) and the Q9?

if the 63 had been a little better I think I would have pushed, as I was mentally sort of hoping for something marginal but with drawing potential like suited connectors or suited one-offs that would be live if called, have draws and be comparitively good with multiple callers (though given tightness that wasnt likely). We were still 11 handed on both the 63s and the 55, and I think that's actually the first time I've played 11 handed, so my tight-instincts for superfull table were battling my short stack/low M etc tournament instincts, hedged by the fact that no one had a healthy M, probably 6 or 8 at the high end, though the guy who cleaned out 11th place might have gotten himself up to 10 or 12 I guess...
Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 PM

here's a summary for those without a lot of free time:

10 left of 42, top 5 pay. $100. tight table, i have very tight image.

10-handed, i'm utg with Q9 and 8k, blinds 500-1k a100. action?

i'd fold. blinds won't cripple you and you're way out of position with a crappy hand.

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I just played a $100 5 table tournament last night (about 42 or 43 players) and am trying to decide if I played it right at the end. Criticism and opinions appreciated.

My first gripe is that they merged to the final table when we were down to 11. I think that was crazy, I think 8 or 9 is pretty standard, though I wouldn't have criticized 10 necessarily. I'm slightly above average chip stack at this point with about 14K (started with 2500), and the blinds were I think 400-800 with 100 antes, and probably no one has more than 22 or 25K because I only see 1 or 2 stacks clearly smaller than me.

We played for an hour 11 handed and hardly saw a flop, literally 1 or 2 at most and I don't think a turn. Everyone's playing really tight. The best two hands I had, both before I was feeling desperate, were A7o, but in early position and about 3 hands after merge, so I folded it, and pocket 5's, also early position, which I'm wondering if I shouldn't have pushed with now. Besides those two hands, I think my best was a K2o. I seriously thought about pushing all in with 63s in middle position when everyone folded to me, as I'd decided it was so tight and pot before callers was so big stealing was my best shot (blinds were up to 5h and 1k, still 100 antes, though before long they went to 6-12 and 200 antes).

About an hour in we lost our 11th player, and I was approaching the blinds, and wanted to move before the blinds cost me 2200 of my remaining ~8K. I got Q9 under the gun, and god help me it looked good. I've never pushed with something so weak though in such bad position... Guy who called took forever to do so, but he had AK so I almost think he could have been acting to entice someone behind him to come in too, but AK is still a drawing hand so I don't think so. What would you have done? Pushed with the 5's probably, but that aside push with Q9 or ride out the blinds and hope? top 5 places paid. I dunno, I hate when cards totally abandon you like that, I only had one premium hand the whole night, but I'd made do with a lot of marginal to good hands until the final table. Sorry to be so longwinded, thanks for any input.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Note: Blinds 600-1200 & 200 antes

Actually, blinds were 600-1200 at that point with 200 antes, sorry if that was unclear and thanks for the summary, I'm sure I gave more info than necessary.

As I said in title, my M was 2. When I sat down it was just over 4. How much longer can I wait?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Note: Blinds 600-1200 & 200 antes

oops... i'd still fold. i'd prefer an open-push with any 2 in LP, or hope you get something in the blinds.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 PM

Tough spot. If the table is as tight as you say, I'd push, but folding looks reasonable as well. I think it's too close to call.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 PM

I think I didn't need to read your post, the title says it all.

M=2, UTG, and your cards don't matter.

-Scott