Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Default 88 on the button, flopped an overpair.

Flop aggressor is a decent TAG, the callers are 40+% VPIP passives.

The plan was to raise any non ace, non spade turn and check the river UI. If someone hit the jack on the turn, well not much I could do about that. Since there is no way to protect this hand I can only raise for value. Let me know what you think

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: 88 on the button, flopped an overpair.

I think this is very well-played until you forgot to bet the river.

40% passive VPIPers could have tons of crap here. I think you can find a value bet here risking 1 bet to win 2. You need to be ahead probably only about 40% of the time here when called to make this profitable if you think you'll often get two calls.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

So you're saying bet and fold if I'm check raised?

I still think there's a decent chance I'm ahead, but I raised the turn with the intention of folding to a 3 bet and checking behind on the river. I just don't think I'm ahead most of the time I'm called.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying bet and fold if I'm check raised?

I still think there's a decent chance I'm ahead, but I raised the turn with the intention of folding to a 3 bet and checking behind on the river. I just don't think I'm ahead most of the time I'm called.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very read dependent. It seems to me like your opponents suck here, and would call down with much worse than a 7 or a J. But use your judgment of your opponents.

The key point here is that in a 3 handed pot you are more likely to lose but you also have to win less often in order to show a profit, because sometimes you'll win 2 bets when ahead.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM

I'm with WD on this one. Bet the river, fold to a c/raise unless you have a read that that would be a bad idea. the rest of the hand is great.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:27 PM

I disagree with everyone who says it was played correctly until the river. I think PF should be a raise given the reads -- you have two loose-passive limpers and a tight player in the BB. Raising will often narrow it to 3-handed, and 88 holds up better than way. Do you want the blinds seeing a free/cheap flop with T3/J2/Q5 and hitting an overcard?

Plus, you have position with the button and raising PF makes 88 easier to play post flop when you get bet into.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with everyone who says it was played correctly until the river. I think PF should be a raise given the reads -- you have two loose-passive limpers and a tight player in the BB. Raising will often narrow it to 3-handed, and 88 holds up better than way. Do you want the blinds seeing a free/cheap flop with T3/J2/Q5 and hitting an overcard?

Plus, you have position with the button and raising PF makes 88 easier to play post flop when you get bet into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I'm raising this pre-flop most every time. Didn't pay much attention to that part.