Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:46 PM

Default spewing or making him pay for getting out of line?

good live 20 game at commerce. i post in the cutoff and get red AA. some guy who looks fishy (asian 40 something with expensive sunglasses and a sort of excited look on his face) but whom i dont know limps, i raise, bb calls, limper calls.

the flop is 953 rainbow. bb bets, limper calls, i just call.

the turn is a 5 putting a spade draw up there as well. bb bets, limper calls, i raise, bb calls, limper 3 bets, i 4 bet, bb folds, limper calls.

river is a Jh. limper checks, i bet.

comments?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: spewing or making him pay for getting out of line?

The 3-bet doesn't scare you? I think its calldown mode at that point.

Edit: but of course bet the river if checked to
Old 09-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Since he's an unknown, I think this is more likely spewing.

Your turn raise indicates strength, and for him to call-3-bet, it looks like he sprung alive after trying to suck you in for an overcall on the turn. There's a chance he's making a play with the spade draw, but I think a 5 or better is more likely.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:08 PM

well i like the turn fourbet, but i dont think id bet the river... most passive fish arent find a fivebet with 56 on this turn, and fourbetting gets the other guy out, or charges him the max, so at least one of you two is picking up $$$ by forcing him to put all those bets in there...
im assuming you think its likely that the limper fish had a straight draw, or maybe just overs and picked up a spade draw... looks like it might be the case. the river bet is great, if he hit the J or something, but i dont see why hed have a 9 here... thatd be wierd. i dont see the point... just roll your hand. maybe youll save a bet.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:11 PM

It's pretty difficult to imagine a limper who seems like he might be a novice playing a flush draw this way, so i would call down after the 3 bet. But that's just me. In the 20-40 game i play in, that line is almost always a 5.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty difficult to imagine a limper who seems like he might be a novice playing a flush draw this way, so i would call down after the 3 bet. But that's just me. In the 20-40 game i play in, that line is almost always a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]but your game is prob in wisconsin or something.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:12 PM

Call/check 3-bet screams monster. Usually. But since a second spade hit, maybe he's just gambling it up with a draw. I opt for call the 3-bet, call the river, or call the 3-bet, bet the river if checked to. He'll probably continue the bluff on the river if he's on a draw and missed, whereas he'll fold to your river bet, so you get the same two big bets out of him on the turn and river when he's on a draw. And you lose the least when he has a monster.

"some guy who looks fishy . . . 40 something with expensive sunglasses and a sort of excited look on his face"

I used to wonder how people could tell before a guy even approached the table if he was fishy. Then, when I asked a very good player about a certain player approaching the table, he replied, "I've never seen the guy in my life and I know I want to play with him." [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 05:29 PM

I vote spew. Just call the 3bet and call the river. I don't like putting in lots of bets against unknowns on weird turn cards.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Did you really have to post this to get 20 people to tell you what I already told you? I saw this hand and had the same strong instinct for you to slow down as you did to charge ahead. The real decision here is if you fold the river after just calling his 3 bet or not. 4 betting the turn and betting the river can't be construed as anything other than spewege.

I can understand that you get toyed with a lot in that game but it is just so rare to see a fishy player (if that was your initial read) get that out of line on a flush draw. Your turn raise vs. 2 players is so strong when he back raises I am seriously looking for the muck.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM

"Did you really have to post this to get 20 people to tell you what I already told you?"

no offense, but yes. besides i ignore all but a couple posts from people i actually know and respect.