Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: punishment for cashing out?

OF COURSE there is no such thing as a cashout curse--the folks who control your cards just LOVE to have you take out money that they could be drawing interest on . . . (insert Vincent Price laugh here) [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM

It is common knowledge that the online poker sites flip the DOOM switch every time someone cashes out. It is usually only set for 5 days, so I typically wait 5 days and start back on the micro tables until my pattern recognizer indicates it is safe to play at my normal level.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at your own game. Maybe you're playing at stakes that are too high for your bankroll? Maybe the cashout causes you to play differently (tighter)?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the most likely explanation for any sort of "cashout curse" IMO. Back when I was young, stupid and underbankrolled, I felt like there was some sort of "curse" as well, but looking back that's probably because I was going from a tiny bankroll to a tinier bankroll when I cashed out and was basically just scared money at the tables. Now that I keep myself at a bankroll at least somewhat appropriate for my level I don't notice it anymore.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if not on forums like this, how could the word ever get out. Several people come here and tell you poker is rigged, cashout curse, blah blah blah. Everyone gets the same answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my opinion that many of the 'cash-out curse' conspiracy theorists learn of it and talk about it in live poker-rooms and private home-games.

The number of people I met on the PPM cruise who talked incessently about the cash-out curse and how 'you can just tell that the cards on party aren't the same as a real card-room' was simply incredible.
Many of these players, imo, do not frequent poker chat-boards like 2+2.

When in Vegas during the WSOP...if a couple of online-qualifiers were playing in a ring-game at the Mirage or somewhere and talking about what site they qualified on and so forth...inevitibly there would be another player or a dealer asking 'how can you even trust that stuff? you can just tell the cards don't run right there.' etc etc.

I really think these ideas of 'cash-out curses' and what-not really permeate the B&M and home-games more than internet forums such as this.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:49 PM

You're one of the lucky ones that only goes card dead after cashout....I have downswings without cashing out!!! wtf I'm gonna email support and find out why.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me the "cashout curse" is just because I'll usually withdraw after a nice hot run, and its just the inevitable cooldown I'm due for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this quote in "cashout curse" threads all the time but it's simply not true. If you cash out after a hot run of cards, the odds of you having a bad run of cards (or another hot run for that matter) are the same as a fresh start. You are not due for anything.

It's like saying it's heads 20 times in a row it's due for a tail. We all know it's not true.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM

I posted on this forum before i read a single threadon the subject, mainly to keep my opinons as MINE..
I got hamered with the 'your an idiot' ,more for my lack of grace with words than the subjcect matter i believe.. SO, thanks pokerrookie for haveing that grace and sticking up for an idiot.
also, i posted on the revese of the cashout curse, after a deposit i get super lucky.
ah well, thanks again for making me feel better.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:02 PM

Also - I wanted to briefly address the comment that nicestack had regarding 'not appreciating getting slammed' (I believe it was).

I don't think I was too harsh in either of my posts on this subject to date.
We've had many people ask this question on cash-out curses before...almost all are less experienced on this stuff.

Saying that one is 'playing badly' or 'doesnt understand the variance' is not an insult.
It is simply a fact that many many players out there THINK they are playing 'correctly' when they simply are not playing well.
It is also a fact that many many players have very little understanding of the variance that takes place in this crazy little game.

If a good player tells me that my understanding of poker or variance or whatever is flawed then I simply want to know why they think so and then want to try to gain some insight/knowledge.

I was pretty honest in my post...but that doesn't mean it was a slam.
Your understanding of variance does seem flawed and does your system of trying to 'lock-in' a win as well as your belief in a cash-out curse because you might happen to think you are missing more flops for the 200-300 hands immediately following your cash-out.
You are not alone in these misunderstandings.
they are extremely common amongst newer or just plain less-knowledgeable players.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if not on forums like this, how could the word ever get out. Several people come here and tell you poker is rigged, cashout curse, blah blah blah. Everyone gets the same answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my opinion that many of the 'cash-out curse' conspiracy theorists learn of it and talk about it in live poker-rooms and private home-games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but don't you think this is because the people talking about it live are less likely to be told what fucktards they are how they should seriously consider killing themselves.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 PM

I sure as hell wasn't going to and have not really seen anyone else do that either.

when 2 guys at our dinner table were talking endlessly about the cash-out curse and 'messed up cards' on the PPM cruise and then asked me what I thought I just said that I didn't think there was such a thing.
They proceeded to go on and on about how I was exactly the type of person who they wouldn't put the cash-out curse on anyway since I play full-time (and they want to keep the high-volume players evidently because they keep the games going, etc).
They were typical normal guys....but once they got going they just sounded like conspiracy-theorists who wouldn't shut-up about how aliens from Mars killed JFK and how the government is watching you through your TV set.

I basically just ignored these discussions as best I could.
There was no point in arguing with them because it would only make them more upset and determined to prove their point and I just wanted them to shut the hell up.

Both were adamant that they were going to stop playing at party completely because the cash-out curses are getting worse for them.

I have a feeling that they have both said this several times in the past though (for one of the guys...he has played in 3 of the first 4 PPM's....so it strikes me as unlikely that he is just going to quit Party entirely no matter how adamant he might be about it).

The lengths to which many people go to justify their losing sessions is just unfathomable to me.
If I lose...the last thing I do is blame the site itself or the opponents who 'just dont play right'
I do blame myself though.
Even if it was a horrible run of cards...I'm always fairly certain that my 80BB loss could have been only 70BB's if I had played a few hands more correctly along the way (to either maximize a winning hand...or minimize my chip-spewing on the losing hands).

Final tid-bit - The day after the PPM dinner with these 2 geniuses I am in day 2 of the tournament.
I get moved to a table right next to the older of the two guys and we say hi to each other.
Later...short-stack from UTG raises all-in (this was a limit tournament...he was trying to hang-on for the money...but it was obvious he was going to have to play a hand now).

The CO re-raises (to knock out the button and blinds) after debating forever out loud 'I'm pretty sure I have to call here' blah blah blah.

Short-stack has JJ....LP trying to knock him out has A2o.

Flop comes T22.

The JJ guy gets up to leave a litle bit dejected.

The turn comes the J and the whole table goes "Oh wow!!" and the whole room looks at us (this jack was the difference between him winning $5200 or busting-out with nothing).

After the hand..I turn to the guy I had dinner with (who was talking mostly about some IMPOSSIBLE hand he lost online where his opponent had 72o and called his AA all-in) and I jokingly say "hey...that's just like one of those online hands!!" (kind of like Paul Phillips did I believe in a WPT tourney)
The guy very seriously responds, "Yeah. You never really see hands like that happen live. Those are the kinds of hands that only happen online."
I might have said "Well...we just DID see it happen live" or something like that but don't remember if I did or not.

It was still my policy to generally avoid the topic in publuc places because it looks to me to be the same as arguing against people who think that radio-waves via the floridation in our drinking water enables the CIA to spy on us.

For the love of god...Will somebody PLEASE get me my freaking tin-foil hat!!!
The UV rays are higher than normal today and I don't want the DirectTV and XMradio satellite waves to penetrate the ozone layer to contaminate any of my cooking utensils!!!
If I stand on one foot while wearing my special hat I should be able to divert the rays to my neighbors kitchen.