Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Nut flush on paired board

I am grunching.

Against a lags range, capping the flop is obvious. With the nuts on the turn, capping is fine.

What are you scared about on the river? It's like the guy with ace's that has the pot capped preflop and plays scared cause someone is telling them they have them beat.

He capped the turn, he is likely to have a flush.

Ace high flush beats his flush. Check, call if it's two back to you, raise if it's one.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM

I think checking the river is ok but you have to raise when it comes back one bet to you, i would only check to see how button reacted to the paired board. With your description of CO i think he has a lesser flush here almost always, he would probably be to afraid of the flush himself to cap the turn with a set. Judging by the action buttons most likely hand is KT and therefore i think you have a clear value raise on the river.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:16 PM

I do not understand why everyone wants to check/raise this river. Best case on the check/raise you gain two bets when ahead assuming both players call the check/raise. You lose two bets when the paired board scares the shik out of the turn capper and he checks this through. Also the rare times CO overplayed a set on the turn and you are behind it is going to cost you three bets to show your hand down. Also the times button folds to your check/raise means you only gain one additional bet at the risk of giving up two sure calls on the river.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not understand why everyone wants to check/raise this river. Best case on the check/raise you gain two bets when ahead assuming both players call the check/raise. You lose two bets when the paired board scares the shik out of the turn capper and he checks this through. Also the rare times CO overplayed a set on the turn and you are behind it is going to cost you three bets to show your hand down. Also the times button folds to your check/raise means you only gain one additional bet at the risk of giving up two sure calls on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think turn cap, river check is that common? Also tehre is a chance the third player will bet if the weakie checks.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think turn cap, river check is that common? Also tehre is a chance the third player will bet if the weakie checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah when the board pairs and the loose passive thinks he just got outdrawn on the river. I just don't trust this type of player enough to bet the river here to go for the check/raise and gain a bet or two at the expense of giving up two sure calls.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:34 AM

thanks everyone for the great responses. As most of you figured CO had a tiny flush and Button was on KT for the flopped 2-pair.

There seems to be some confusion about player characteristics, when discussing the river, some of you refer to the 'weak-tightie'. I don't think either CO or Button could be labeled as such.

I'm sorry if I didn't fully describe CO, which I think I had a very good read on. I was convinced that he would bet the river, because he always played his own hand out of context.

My main fear on the river was actually that CO would overplay his hand against raises from Button. If Button raises on the river I'd say that he most likely has K3 or TT (or even 33...). I didn't trust CO to slow down and this would have me trapped between the two of them for 4 bets.

Had the river been heads up, I think that bet/call would be the best line.

In this case, I think I should have check-raised when Button didn't raise, as pointed out by a couple of people.

Many thanks for your input.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 AM

Restless I was mixing up MP2 and the CO but you still give a pretty passive read for the CO. People love to check the river through especially in big pots when a scare card comes out.You check/calling the river is a perfect example. I am in the minority here but I feel pretty strongly that the river should have been a bet but I will leave it alone now. Nice hand.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 AM

I probably would have bet out the river and called a raise. I think check / calling is fine when the board pairs and you've got two opponents.

For what it's worth, I put CO on QJs. His cold calling two preflop and on the flop, coupled with his coming to life on the turn when the 3rd [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits really couldn't have him holding anything else (whoops I took note of your read of him, so I guess he could be holding any two suited [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s).

The button is the scary one here. He caps the flop which means a set of tens or two pair holding KTs.

I still think you win this hand on the river.

BTW: 2/4 is actually better to play than 1/2. I've found much looser players at 2/4 than 1/2 for sure. 3/6 on the other hand, seems much different than 2/4 for some reason.