Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Trips Turn Play

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero...

The obvious play here is to raise, but I don't think that is necessarily right. If he is drawing dead, he may fold where as if I just call he may put in another bet on the river. Also he's shown some strength, if he has any other 9 it is most likely better than mine. I think the play might be to just call...
Old 09-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Trips Turn Play

Raise or fold PF! I would raise the turn as well. I think your villain is on a draw &amp; lets charge him to make it.. before he gets there.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Preflop, I would've raised if I thought I had a good chance to isolate, but the blinds were too loose to make it worth the gamble. However, I don't view this is a raise or fold situation; I think 98s is very playable in this spot for one bet with 3-5 likely to take a flop.

On the turn, how often do you think I am ahead here given UTGs flop 3-bet? 44 and 77 seem likely for villain, as well as A9 or K9. Of course there are also many hands I'm ahead of here, and as it happened he folded to my turn raise. I think if I hadn't of raised the turn, I could've gotten at least 1 more bet in on the river, and getting 3-bet on the turn would suck.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:20 AM

Raise the turn. There are lots of possible draws out.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 AM

Results oriented thinking? Turn raise is the correct play here, I think. And I would not worry about the case 9.