Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Return of the Fantasy Football Advice Column

I have Favre and Bulger as my two QBs. Would it be worth dropping Favre for either Plummer, Brooks, Carr, or Leftwich? Plummer/Bulger has week 9 as a Bye and Favre plays the Steelers. I could probably pick up of the waiver wire one of the remaining QB for that week.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Favre and Bulger as my two QBs. Would it be worth dropping Favre for either Plummer, Brooks, Carr, or Leftwich? Plummer/Bulger has week 9 as a Bye and Favre plays the Steelers. I could probably pick up of the waiver wire one of the remaining QB for that week.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you starting 2 QBs? There is very little reason to have drafted Bulger and Favre if your not starting two QBs. That is a draft problem. For week 9 I would be going with Steve McNair (vs. Clev) Eli Manning (vs. San Fran) maybe even Big Ben vs. Green Bay.

You could probably trade Favre for something more useful than a back-up QB. Even if it is a third or fourth running back. Then you can pick up one of those previously mentioned QBs who should still be on the waiver wire.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In your first thread you listed your top 25 running backs, that post was excellent. Care to do the same for wide receivers? I'm not in a dynasty league. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't try and draw too many fine lines -- WRs blur easily. Who would have put Muhsin Muhammed in the top 25 last year? He wasn't even #1 on his own team!

I'll think about it and get back to you. My general drafting style does really need a list, because I take RBs first and second and then just grab best RB/WR available. If it's close, I pretty much flip a coin.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious if the scoring system detailed below makes thinking about drafting a defense a good idea. QB/2RB/2WR/Flex/TE/D 12 teams, 12 rounds. I think an aggressive, attacking D is more valuable, but I'm not sure how much better that is than the available Defense with the worst opponent that week. IF D is an option, where do you consider it, round 8-9?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take best available free agent defense. Chicago or Washington are great week 1 choices -- they play each other. On the other hand, Baltimore happens to face Peyton and the Gang. Not good.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: General Draft Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in a standard, free Yahoo! league, so its mostly TDs that count for points. Dont have a final count on teams yet, but it should be about 10-12. Does the conventional wisdom of drafting ruuning backs first hold ? Are their any must have players that should supersede most general considerations (Manning perhaps?).

Thanks,
VR

[/ QUOTE ]

Conventional wisdom holds. Manning is draftable at #4 overall in either league, although some would disagree with me if there are 12 teams. (I'd go for it.)
Old 08-30-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you starting 2 QBs? There is very little reason to have drafted Bulger and Favre if your not starting two QBs. That is a draft problem. For week 9 I would be going with Steve McNair (vs. Clev) Eli Manning (vs. San Fran) maybe even Big Ben vs. Green Bay.

You could probably trade Favre for something more useful than a back-up QB. Even if it is a third or fourth running back. Then you can pick up one of those previously mentioned QBs who should still be on the waiver wire.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'd have said, mostly. I'd not bother taking a backup QB now -- you can get one during Favre/Bulger's bye week. Instead, use the spot on a guy who by week 3 may have real value.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing in a standard, free Yahoo! league, so its mostly TDs that count for points. Dont have a final count on teams yet, but it should be about 10-12. Does the conventional wisdom of drafting ruuning backs first hold ? Are their any must have players that should supersede most general considerations (Manning perhaps?).

Thanks,
VR

[/ QUOTE ]

Conventional wisdom holds. Manning is draftable at #4 overall in either league, although some would disagree with me if there are 12 teams. (I'd go for it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok follow on question (hope thats allowed). Is drafting as many RBs as possible a good idea so I have some trade fodder? Just trying to figure out what my general strategy should be for the draft.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok follow on question (hope thats allowed). Is drafting as many RBs as possible a good idea so I have some trade fodder? Just trying to figure out what my general strategy should be for the draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Draft RB-RB in rounds 1 and 2, unless there are special circumstances.

Draft best WR/RB hereafter, with two exceptions:

If a top TE (Gonzo/Gates) falls until round 5 or Witten round 6, draft him.

At some point, you need to grab a QB. Here are the top 25 from last year, based on points per start (6 points per TD, 1 per 20 yards passing, -2 per INT):

31.37 Peyton
28.74 Culpepper
25.45 McNabb
24.26 Volek
22.44 Bulger
22.35 Green
21.90 Favre
21.52 Delhomme
21.20 Brees
21.15 Griese
20.78 Plummer
20.29 Brady
19.79 Hasslebeck
19.28 Brooks
18.63 Collins
17.14 Palmer
16.74 Pennington
16.36 Leftwich
15.50 Roethlisberger
15.15 Harrington
14.93 Vick
14.74 McNair
14.66 Bledsoe
14.66 Carr
11.87 Boller

(Vick's yardage total includes yards rushing, computed at 1pt per 20.)

That's not how I rank them -- it's just how the numbers from last year come out. You'll not be taking Volek but note that McNair could be good. And Palmer is close to joining the ranks of the 20 ppg-ers.

There are about 15-18 starting-quality QBs and only one (Manning) stands apart. (I expect Culpepper to fall off to about 22-26 points per game.) What you'll see is a run on QBs to the point where almost all teams have one and some even have two. At about the same time, the picks for RB/WR will get thin -- you're taking mostly backups and sleepers. So, that's when you take your QB.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I'd have said, mostly. I'd not bother taking a backup QB now -- you can get one during Favre/Bulger's bye week. Instead, use the spot on a guy who by week 3 may have real value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up dropping Favre and picking up M. Anderson of the waiver wire, who'll be my 3rd RB for week 1.

Starting RB: McGahee, Barber, Anderson
Bench RB: D. Davis, C. Williams, L. Johnson

Starting WR: Horn, Clayton, Coles/D. Jackson
Bench WR: Coles/D. Jackson, A. Lelie
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM

This is a rough list of some players who I think/know are gonna be available middish-late (please don't debate this, there are some noobs I play with). I have had trouble here in the past and want to shore some things up

Assuming I have 2 rbs (Edge/ D.Davis)and 2 wrs (C.Johnson/ R.Wayne) and am looking at a flex and backups, this is how I roughly see these 20ish players.

QUESTION: Am I really off in any spots or is there anybody here to avoid.

1 jerry porter
2 larry johnson
3 chris chambers
4 l. fitzgerald
5 justin macereins
6 ronnie brown
7 jj arrington
8 cedric benson
9 derek mason
10 anquain boldin
11 muhsin muhhamed

12 lee evans
13 plaxico burress
14 ashley lelie
15 eddie kennison
16 tatum bell
17 I bruce
18 rod smith
19 roy williams
20 steve smith
21 jimmy smith

22 tj hush
23 deshaun foster
24 m. moore
25 tj. duckett
26 mike anderson
27 j. bettis

thanks

Also, when does it make much of s difference if my QB is green/brees/hassleback/delhomme/brooks/collins?

Is green that much better that I should take him with 5-6th pick, or just wait for one other of the above in like round 7+. 12 team league